Disk duplication

alwi27

Question

Hi,

I have a 2x disk duplication over for 4 8TB disks and i can´t find i way to easily see what disk actually is duplicated with each other.
It only shows four disks and that the data is duplicated but i want to know to what which drive it´s duplicated it self to. Without going
in to the disks hidden files and make a diff. Are there a function I don´t know about our a plugin for this thing?

Br

Alexander

3 answers to this question

Actually, it does not work that way at all (unless you do some tweaking, then it *might* work that way). DP stores duplicates on two different HDDs but there is no telling where they are. So if you have three files, F1, F2 and F3 and four disks then F1 may be at Disk 1 and Disk 2 while F2 may be at Disk 1 and Disk 4 (and F3 may be at Disk 2 and Disk 4). So, although *files* are duplicated, Disks are not.

If using the technology by design, you should never need (or want) to know at all. Simplicity is the point. DrivePool will handle duplication and drives in the pool safely for you. Use file placement if you want to place certain files on certain drives. It really doesn't matter where the duplication is as long as it's somewhere in the pool.

^ This. Both of the posts.

That said, if you absolutely must know, there is the "dpcmd" too, and "check-pool-fileparts" command:

Additionally, you could remove two of the disks from the pool, add them to a separate pool, and then add both of those pools to a new pool.  
This would help you to ensure that you know what disk the files are on, but it is a much more complicated setup.