Examples of Media Server/Setup using Drivepool

waltwhitman6969

Question

Hey guys. Just curious if anyone out there is running a media server (Plex or otherwise) while using Drivepool and also wanting to share their setup (how many drives, backup solution, etc)

I’m about to start a media server myself and am just curious how you all use Drivepool to satisfy your needs.

Me, personally, I am going pretty basic I think. 

Media Sever - Windows 10 running Plex

(1) 8 TB drive - main drive

(2) 5 TB drives - backup drives (pooled together and only powered on while backing up from main drive)

Backup - using FreeFileSync to backup any changes/additions/deletions from main drive to the backup drives. 

I’m in the process of setting this all up so not a working example yet but it is what I’m hoping to do. Pick it apart and let me know if you guys can think of any thing I can change to make it easier. I like the simplicity of this so far. 

2 answers to this question

Not really backup without some sort of versioning (at minimum turning on file history). It is basically a short term backup from the last X hours but you lose files that you delete once the process runs. I would call what your doing 8TB main drive where you have 2x 5tb pooled redundant drives.

Thus at that point you would likely benefit from just making it real time or at minimum putting the entire process under drive pool.

Create a simple pool with the two 5TB drives. Then create a second pool that contains the first pool and the 8TB drive. Now you can enable pool duplication.

If you want the drives to only backup every so often configure drive pool to always place files first on the 8TB drive and then every so often preform a balancing operation to duplicate the files over to the pool of 5TB drives.

For my case I use duplication on everything (48TB of drives for 24TB of usable space) and I backup via Backblaze. About 60% of my storage is in RAID 0 arrays (via storage spaces) which are then placed in duplication pools. I use the performance boost from RAID 0 for editing working loads. If I just had 100% static content I would not be using RAID 0 at all. I also use primocache as a write cache but plan to expand it to a read cache as to assist when browsing large image galleries or RAW images to improve responsiveness. (Using 2x 250GB 970 EVOs (two are required to overcome the 2x write performance penalty as a result of real time duplication))