Measuring the entire pool at every boot?

Julius

Question

It seems awful overkill that Stablebit DrivePool does 'measuring' whenever I rebooted the OS. Can't it just continue where it left off, recall last state? Is there a config switch I've overlooked, where I can tell it not to rescan all files on all drives at boottime?

1 hour ago, Christopher (Drashna) said:

That would be normal, actually. 

As for "unauthorized" changes, the issue is how that would be tracked.  It basically leads into the same issue.  And it's not just that it's checking the one disk, but it needs to compare the duplicated contents to make sure they match, too.

@Christopher (Drashna), yes, I know that my DrivePool is working as it should. And if there are any corrupt files found, I am glad that DrivePool does a complete re-check. I was trying to compare my satisfaction with DrivePool in contrast to my frustrations I had with Windows Storage Spaces. Appreciate your feedback. Thanks.

Ah, okay, I missed that part! 

Also, "fun" fact, the repair mechanism in Storage Spaces requires ReFS, and I believe that the integrity checking for Storage Spaces is only enabled on critical file system data (not the whole drive).  So ... yay....

Also, we definitely recommend having StableBit Scanner (or something similar) on the system, as that will detect and let you know if there are issues on the drives, including read errors.  It's not quite "repair", but it will use the balancing system of StableBit DrivePool to evacuate the data off of problem drives. 

anyone able to bring me up to date on this?   I have two pools, 11 disks each.  Every time i restart the computer one of them re-measures.   the other one does not.

EDIT: so ive removed a few older drives and upgraded them to 12tb exos which did not solve the issue.  ive also reset the permissions on the entire pool with no luck.

gonna try that settings.json edit even though i cant understand why i'd need it on one pool and not the other.  the irony is the pool that SHOULD be slower (millions of small files) is the one that does not have this issue while the pool with all large media files does.