CloudDrive drops my Internet connection

rotors14

Question

Hello, I have been using CloudDrive in a two different computers with Windows 10, with two different Internet providers and different routers and I have the same problem, the router drops my Internet connection in both wire and wireless devices (wired pc, wireless laptops, mobiles, etc.). It is solved when I reset the router, but it happens once a day more or less. I am pretty sure this is a problem of cloudDrive because I have formatted the computer and cloudDrive is the only software that I have installed right now (and the only PC connected to the network, no other laptops nor mobiles)

What could I test to improve its configuration and avoid this problem?

Sorry for my misspells but I don not speak English.

Thanks

10 answers to this question

On 11/12/2018 at 2:06 PM, rotors14 said:

Thank you for your help. I will read this article. I have used two different routers because I moved to another house and I even tested a third router (Linksys EA8500) as neutral router with the ISP routers in bridge mode but the problem persists.

OK. In that case, I think my follow up question is for some more detail about what you mean when you say that the router is "dropping" your internet connection. Is it simply not responding? Are you losing your DHCP to your modem? What specifically is it doing when it drops? 

I'm trying to think of things that *any* application on your PC could be doing that would cause a problem with the connection between your router and your WAN without there being an underlying router issue, but I'm having trouble thinking of anything. Some more detail might help.

On 11/12/2018 at 5:33 PM, rotors14 said:

By the way, I read almost all your messages about CloudDrive for PLEX and torrent. Thank you for all of them. They are very useful. I have not good upload speed. My best upload speed has been 1-2 MBps. My prefetch settings are 1MB, 100MB, 180s. I do not how can I do to improve it. (1000/100 mbps connection)

You're welcome. Some of them are probably out of date compared to what I'm using today. I had written up a little tutorial on reddit to help people, but I ended up deleting that account and wiping all of the posts. 

Nothing will influence your upload more than the number of upload threads. Personally, I throttle my upload to 70 mbps so that I never exceed Google's 750GB/day limit, but my current settings easily saturate that. My settings are as follows, and I highly recommend them:

• 10 Download Threads
  • 5 Upload Threads
  • No background I/O (I disable this because I want to actually prioritize the reads over the writes for the Plex server)
  • Uploads throttled to 70mbps
  • Upload Threshold set to 1MB or 5mins
  • 10MB minimum download size (seems to provide a relatively responsive drive while fetching more than enough data for the server in most cases)
  • 20MB Prefetch Trigger
  • 500MB Prefetch forward
  • 10 second prefetch window

I actually calculated the prefetch settings based on the typical remux quality video file on my server. 20MB in 10 seconds is roughly equivalent to a 16mbps video file, if I remember the standard that I used correctly. That's actually a very low bitrate for a remuxed bluray, which is typically closer to 35mbps. The 10MB minimum download seems to handle any lower quality files just fine. 

I still play with the settings once in awhile, but this setup successfully serves up to 6 or 7 very high quality video streams at a time. I've been extremely happy with it. I'm using one large drive (275TB) divided up into 5 55TB volumes (so I can use chkdsk), and it has about 195TB of content on it. I combine all of the volumes using DrivePool and point Plex at the DrivePool drive. Works wonderfully. 

The drive structure is 20MB chunks with a 100MB chunk cache, running with 50GB expandable cache on an SSD. 

It's almost certainly a router problem. There isn't really anything that CloudDrive does that is abnormal as far as network traffic goes, other than being somewhat taxing on your network infrastructure. So the first thing that I would test is another high-traffic application to see if it causes the same problem. Smallnetbuilder has a good article on router testing here: https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-howto/31679-how-to-test-a-wireless-router

Try that first, and then we can go from there. 

10 hours ago, rotors14 said:

With dropping I mean none of my devices can not reach any website. All of them (by wire ethernet and Wi-Fi) have IP address and I can access towards the router configuration (192.168.1.1). The only software I am currently using is PLEX and CloudDrive. 
Sorry, but I do not know what else details I could tell you :(

Does the router still have a WAN IP when this happens? You'll have to look at the router's config page when it drops out to see. It sounds to me like the router is losing its connection to the modem when this happens, and I have no idea how any application could possibly cause that unless there is a problem with the router, the modem, or your ISP. 

10 hours ago, rotors14 said:

Thank you very much! I use different Google Drive accounts, so I would need the best config for different purposes. What config would you use only for PLEX and only for torrent? I would prefer use a config only for PLEX (3-4 bdremux streaming) and a config only for torrent.

Thank you again! You are really good!

That setup works fine for both. I don't use torrents very much, but that setup works fine when I do. If you're hosting a drive specifically for torrents, you can probably adjust the prefetcher down somewhat. Torrent pieces are only around 4-8MB apiece even for a very large torrent. So caching 500MB at a time is unnecessary. Honestly, with a minimum download size of 10MB, I'd probably just disable the prefetcher altogether for torrents. Torrents grab pieces in a somewhat arbitrary order, based on the availability of pieces being seeded. So there isn't a real advantage to caching a lot of contiguous data. It won't likely need the data contiguously. If you're seeding, torrents are also comparatively slow. You'll rarely need more than 1MB/sec or so, and your connection is fast enough to handle that on the fly--as is mine. 

On 11/20/2018 at 12:50 AM, rotors14 said:

I am pretty sure that is StableBit CloudDrive the problem. I have not used it for 3 days and the Internet connection has been good (the PC is always on).  Suddenly, I upload some data and lost the connection again. :( 

I have uploads throttled to 30mbps when my connection permit 100Mbps.

Set it to 1 thread for upload and download then.  

But I think that @srcrist is correct here.  I cannot use consumer grade routers for my network connect because I have too much activity.  I average 4TB of traffic per month, and that's not using StableBit CloudDrive, at all.  This would actually fully crash my routers within 48 hours, every time. 

Also, if this was a router designed and sold during Belkin's ownership of Linksys, that would be why.  Belkin has a long history of selling shit tier networking hardware. 

And looking at this review .... it sounds like it was:
https://www.tomsguide.com/us/linksys-ea8500-router,review-2867.html

8 minutes ago, srcrist said:

It's almost certainly a router problem. There isn't really anything that CloudDrive does that is abnormal as far as network traffic goes, other than being somewhat taxing on your network infrastructure. So the first thing that I would test is another high-traffic application to see if it causes the same problem. Smallnetbuilder has a good article on router testing here: https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-howto/31679-how-to-test-a-wireless-router

Thank you for your help. I will read this article. I have used two different routers because I moved to another house and I even tested a third router (Linksys EA8500) as neutral router with the ISP routers in bridge mode but the problem persists.

3 hours ago, srcrist said:

By the way, I read almost all your messages about CloudDrive for PLEX and torrent. Thank you for all of them. They are very useful. I have not good upload speed. My best upload speed has been 1-2 MBps. My prefetch settings are 1MB, 100MB, 180s. I do not how can I do to improve it. (1000/100 mbps connection)

On 11/14/2018 at 3:44 AM, srcrist said:

You're welcome. Some of them are probably out of date compared to what I'm using today. I had written up a little tutorial on reddit to help people, but I ended up deleting that account and wiping all of the posts. 

Nothing will influence your upload more than the number of upload threads. Personally, I throttle my upload to 70 mbps so that I never exceed Google's 750GB/day limit, but my current settings easily saturate that. My settings are as follows, and I highly recommend them:

• 10 Download Threads
  • 5 Upload Threads
  • No background I/O (I disable this because I want to actually prioritize the reads over the writes for the Plex server)
  • Uploads throttled to 70mbps
  • Upload Threshold set to 1MB or 5mins
  • 10MB minimum download size (seems to provide a relatively responsive drive while fetching more than enough data for the server in most cases)
  • 20MB Prefetch Trigger
  • 500MB Prefetch forward
  • 10 second prefetch window

I actually calculated the prefetch settings based on the typical remux quality video file on my server. 20MB in 10 seconds is roughly equivalent to a 16mbps video file, if I remember the standard that I used correctly. That's actually a very low bitrate for a remuxed bluray, which is typically closer to 35mbps. The 10MB minimum download seems to handle any lower quality files just fine. 

I still play with the settings once in awhile, but this setup successfully serves up to 6 or 7 very high quality video streams at a time. I've been extremely happy with it. I'm using one large drive (275TB) divided up into 5 55TB volumes (so I can use chkdsk), and it has about 195TB of content on it. I combine all of the volumes using DrivePool and point Plex at the DrivePool drive. Works wonderfully. 

The drive structure is 20MB chunks with a 100MB chunk cache, running with 50GB expandable cache on an SSD. 

Thank you very much! I use different Google Drive accounts, so I would need the best config for different purposes. What config would you use only for PLEX and only for torrent? I would prefer use a config only for PLEX (3-4 bdremux streaming) and a config only for torrent.

Thank you again! You are really good!

On 11/14/2018 at 3:44 AM, srcrist said:

OK. In that case, I think my follow up question is for some more detail about what you mean when you say that the router is "dropping" your internet connection. Is it simply not responding? Are you losing your DHCP to your modem? What specifically is it doing when it drops? 

I'm trying to think of things that *any* application on your PC could be doing that would cause a problem with the connection between your router and your WAN without there being an underlying router issue, but I'm having trouble thinking of anything. Some more detail might help.

With dropping I mean none of my devices can not reach any website. All of them (by wire ethernet and Wi-Fi) have IP address and I can access towards the router configuration (192.168.1.1). The only software I am currently using is PLEX and CloudDrive. 
Sorry, but I do not know what else details I could tell you :(

I am pretty sure that is StableBit CloudDrive the problem. I have not used it for 3 days and the Internet connection has been good (the PC is always on).  Suddenly, I upload some data and lost the connection again. :( 

I have uploads throttled to 30mbps when my connection permit 100Mbps.

Again, I'm simply not even sure how that would be possible from a technical perspective. I suspect that any high-traffic application might cause the same problem for you. CloudDrive doesn't do anything to modify the WAN settings on your router--nor could it. If your router is dropping the connection to your modem, that's almost certainly your router, your modem, or your ISP. 

Stranger things have happened, I suppose, but I have no idea what could cause that problem. No application on your PC should ever be able to cause that problem. 

I know this probably isn't what you want to hear, but it's almost *certainly* not CloudDrive. CloudDrive is just demanding the data required to trigger the problem.