Physically remove a pool on external disk without shutting the server down?

Rob Manderson

Question

As the title says.

I have a 24TB pool (with duplication on) permanently connected to Server 2016 essentials.  I have another 16TB pool in an external cabinet which lives elsewhere in case of that fire that's going to happen some day.   On a monthly basis I bring that pool in, connect it and use robocopy to sync.  Then, when the sync is done it seems necessary to shut the server down to have the pool correctly shut down.  If I just remove the pool DrivePool wants to remeasure the next time it's connected.

Is there some command I've missed where I can tell DrivePool to do it's thing to mark the pool clean and disconnect it without shutting the server down yet not require a remeasure the next time it's connected?

On reflection it seems this probably isn't anything to do with DrivePool as such.  The external cabinet is connected via an eSata port and doesn't appear in the list of 'disconnectable' devices the way a USB device would.  So it's probably a Windows thing - Windows won't necessarily mark the filesystem clean unless it shuts down cleanly.

Rob

Edited by Rob Manderson
Duplicated word.

2 answers to this question