Two disks showing as other

beefjerky

Question

Two of my drives are suddenly showing all the data as other. The data on them does seem normally accessible via the pooled drive, so it seems to be cosmetic, but still annoying.

These drives are both 4TB drives, and they both hold duplicate copies of a folder. One of the drives also contains a whole lot more data in the pooled folder.

I've tried remeasuring with no success. I updated to the latest release version with no improvement either.

This is running on Windows Server 2008 R2, which is also fully up to date.

Note that I have a backup server with the same OS, same versions of Drivepool, as well as the same configuration of pooled drives (2x Toshiba 3TB, 4x HGST 4TB and 4x Toshiba 8TB), as well as the same duplication settings. No problems on that server.

Thanks for any help!

8 answers to this question

28 minutes ago, Christopher (Drashna) said:

Try resetting the settings:
http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Q2299585B

If that doesn't help, then use something link windirstat to make sure that everything in the pooled disks is actually in the hidden "PoolPart" folders on each disk. 

I tried doing that, and no change. The two disks still show as other. I also tried having Drivepool recheck the duplicate folder, and no change there either.

I can confirm that all the files are in the PoolPart folders; nothing is outside those folders except for the NTFS system folders.

Thanks.

Can you check if each drive contains only one (hidden) PoolPart folder?

I saw once a similar situation where the affected drive got pooled through a new PoolPart folder (with a different id) leaving data in the previous PoolPart folder, which was then no longer part of the pool. I don’t know, what led to this issue, but I fixed it by moving everything from the previous folder into the new one.

So, I thought I'd update this. Tonight I shutdown the system to install a TPM module, and when I rebooted the system, DrivePool magically measured correctly. No other hardware changes other than the TPM module, and I am sure that Windows did not re-detect the disks or anything like that. Prior shutdowns/restarts didn't fix it, so I have no idea what interaction might have occurred between the TPM module and DrivePool.