File duplication from local to cloud possible?

Stuart_75

Question

Hi,

New user love the product so far. What I'd like to do however is have a folder of my photos that I store locally on a local pool duplicated to a drive/pool Ive created that sits on Google drive, so I know I'll have a backup if my server bursts into flames.

Is this possible?

Thanks

Stuart.

8 answers to this question

If I understand the Drive Usage Limiter Balancer correctly, the way you've got it set up, the local drives, E: - G:, will have no duplicated files; only unduplicated.  Since you only have one drive, the Google Drive (J:), checked to hold duplicated files, I'm not sure what the effect is.  I think you need to have at least two drives for duplicated files, otherwise you have no protection or reason to duplicate if one of the drives fails.  Perhaps if you also check one of the local drives (the one with the photo folder that you want to duplicate) for duplicated as well as unduplicated, DrivePool will keep a copy on both the Google Drive and that local drive.  (However, I'm shooting from the hip and haven't played with multiple pools, which it sounds like you're describing in the first post.  Your screenshot makes it looks like the Google Drive is just another drive in the same pool.) 

Mick is right. The Drive Usage Limiter is not the way to go for this. What you *can* do is this:

1. Create Pool A (E:, F: and G:) - no duplication
2. Create Pool B consisting of the Google Drive and Pool A (Yes, you *can* add a Pool to a Pool, it is called hierarchical Pooling)
3. In Pool B, uncheck Unduplicated for the Google Drive (this forces all unduplicated files to be saved to Pool A)
4. Copy/Move everything to Pool B
5. In Pool B, set duplication to x2 for photos folder

Pool B will view Google Drive as one drive and Pool A as one single other HDD. Duplication will ensure one copy in Pool A (E, F or G) and another copy on Google Drive.

Wrt step 4, depending on where the data is right now, this can be done *fast* by disabling the DrivePool service after step 3 and the move the files on the E, F and G drives from the upper hidden PoolPart.* folder to the lower PoolPart.* folder drive by drive. Moving this way is fast. Otherwise you may have a lot of moving/copying between HDDs which is far slower as it really writes files instead of just changing the folders.

Oh, and if you can, do a backup first.

3 hours ago, Umfriend said:

Wrt step 4, depending on where the data is right now, this can be done *fast* by disabling the DrivePool service after step 3 and the move the files on the E, F and G drives from the upper hidden PoolPart.* folder to the lower PoolPart.* folder drive by drive. Moving this way is fast. Otherwise you may have a lot of moving/copying between HDDs which is far slower as it really writes files instead of just changing the folders.

Oh, and if you can, do a backup first. 

This is the part that I don't exactly follow. Could you explain it in more detail please? Ive just spent 24hrs moving 3Tb from the 3 drives to the new pool, and now it sounds like its got to be moved again :o(

So at the moment all my media is in Pool A and I can see a duplication of the photos in the hidden folder on the Google drive

I've drawn out what I think you mean....

image.png.606abd1f1d5bbbf384cad195196dd93c.png

Just explain the fastest way to move the terabytes of media quickly from Pool A to Pool B?

Thanks

Stuart.

4 hours ago, Stuart_75 said:

This is the part that I don't exactly follow. Could you explain it in more detail please? Ive just spent 24hrs moving 3Tb from the 3 drives to the new pool, and now it sounds like its got to be moved again :o(

If you've already moved them, there's probably no need to do it again. Umfriend was describing in "Wrt step 4" how to move the location address of the files within each individual drive (E: then F: then G:) rather than physically copying and deleting the files themselves. 

As you probably know, if you move a file, no matter how big it is, from one folder to another using Windows/File Explorer, the action is almost instantaneous since Windows simply points to the new location -- like changing the page number in the table of contents or index.  You can do the same thing by moving files between the PoolPart.* folder  (that represents the DrivePool pool) and another folder outside of the PoolPart.* folder on the same drive (e.g., E:).

So if folder PoolPart.xxxxx represents Pool A on Drive E: and folder PoolPart.yyyyy represents Pool B also on Drive E:, you can move the files between those two folders quickly, since the operation would just change the address of the files. The long alternative would be physically moving the files into the drive letter that represents Pool B.

Again, if you can confirm that the files are now in Pool B, you completed the race but didn't take the shortcut.

7 hours ago, Umfriend said:

from the upper hidden PoolPart.* folder to the lower PoolPart.* folder

I guess "upper" and "lower" PoolPart folders is how they are sorted in Windows Explorer, and PoolPart for Pool A is named closer to "A" in the alpha sort, maybe because it was created first?

Wrt step 4, Mick is right and clarified my point very well. Thanks. So if it is the case that your files are in Pool A then they are located in:
E:\PoolPart.*, F:\PoolPart.* and  G:\PoolPart.*. You could move them, HDD by HDD using explorer to:

E:\PoolPart.*\PoolPart.*, F:\PoolPart.*\PoolPart.* and  G:\PoolPart.*\PoolPart.*

The * is for an insanely unintelligble unique name. For instance, I have one that is
I:\PoolPart.658b6833-2c4d-4812-8ad3-5d3113caa4fb\PoolPart.ce41f9c3-261e-46d4-a01b-fb38220c59d3\ServerFolders

^^ Pool A                                                                             ^^ Pool B

When I used "upper" and "lower" I meant this hierachically: The drive looks like:

ROOT

-- Other Folders
-- PoolPart.* Folder (this is Pool A and within Pool A you can have)
---- Other Folders (Only in Pool A)
---- PoolPart.* Folder (This is Pool B)

6 hours ago, Umfriend said:

When I used "upper" and "lower" I meant this hierachically: The drive looks like:

ROOT

-- Other Folders
-- PoolPart.* Folder (this is Pool A and within Pool A you can have)
---- Other Folders (Only in Pool A)
---- PoolPart.* Folder (This is Pool B)

Ha! Got it. Just had to put my mind in 3D mode. If I'd ever experimented with hierarchical pooling (or even thought about it deeper -- no pun intended, truly), I would have realized we weren't talking about parallel level folders.