Cache question

jik0n

Question

Hello,

I have a 6TB cache drive that is almost full. For some reason no matter what I do the cache on cloud drive exceeds the max cache I have set so my 6TB drive never empties. Even telling clouddrive to empty the cache does nothing. Reboots did not solve it and updating did not solve it. So I want to move my setup to a different computer entirely. Is there a way to go about just junking the 6TB I have in cache and having stablebit remove any unfinished transfers or will I end up with half transferred items if I just pull it and wipe the cache drive and re-setup the drive on a different computer?

5 answers to this question

Your post is missing a few bits of important information to help determine if there's actually a problem. 

Notably, you never mention what you actually have your cache set to. What sort of cache mode are you using, and what size?  CloudDrive will *always* fill the drive to *at least* the size that you specify when you mount the drive. So if you're using a 6TB drive and you've set up a 6TB cache size, it'll store 6TB of information and never any less. It will cache the most beneficial data, as determined by the algorithm, until it reaches the size you've set. If you've set your cache to something smaller, like a few hundred GB, and you've selected the "expandable" cache mode that is recommended for most use cases, it will fill up to whatever amount you've set and then continue to fill the drive only while it has additional content that needs to be uploaded to the cloud. As an example, if you have a 250GB expandable cache, you'll always see the cache as *at least* 250GB--but if there is an additional 100GB that needs to be uploaded to the cloud, the cache will grow to 350GB and decrease as that additional data is uploaded until it reaches its 250GB minimum again.

So if I don't help you with the following information, share those details.

Now, that being said, if you *are* using a 6TB drive with a 6TB cache size--that's excessive and counter-productive. I'd say a 500GB cache or so, at the most, is all you would ever need for even the most heavy uses (video streaming from your drive or something similar). That means that CloudDrive will store the 500GB of the most accessed/most useful data locally, and move the rest to the cloud for later access.

But here is the good news: the detail that is actually important with respect to whether or not you can disconnect the drive right away isn't actually the cache size at all. It's the "To upload:" number that is displayed right below the pie chart in the UI (if you have any data to upload). That number is what actually represents the data that is in your cache but *not* in your cloud storage yet--and that is the only number that will prevent CloudDrive from letting you detach the drive and attach it to another system. As long as you don't have any data "to upload," you can detach the drive in less than a minute and your entire cache--whether it's 6GB or 6TB--will instantly poof. It's all just duplicated data from your cloud storage. If you actually have several TB of data *to upload*, then you're almost certainly running into other problems like daily data upload limits set by your cloud provider. And there isn't much CloudDrive can do about that. You'll just have to stop putting data on the drive and wait until it's done. 

Does that make sense?

9 hours ago, srcrist said:

Your post is missing a few bits of important information to help determine if there's actually a problem. 

Notably, you never mention what you actually have your cache set to. What sort of cache mode are you using, and what size?  CloudDrive will *always* fill the drive to *at least* the size that you specify when you mount the drive. So if you're using a 6TB drive and you've set up a 6TB cache size, it'll store 6TB of information and never any less. It will cache the most beneficial data, as determined by the algorithm, until it reaches the size you've set. If you've set your cache to something smaller, like a few hundred GB, and you've selected the "expandable" cache mode that is recommended for most use cases, it will fill up to whatever amount you've set and then continue to fill the drive only while it has additional content that needs to be uploaded to the cloud. As an example, if you have a 250GB expandable cache, you'll always see the cache as *at least* 250GB--but if there is an additional 100GB that needs to be uploaded to the cloud, the cache will grow to 350GB and decrease as that additional data is uploaded until it reaches its 250GB minimum again.

So if I don't help you with the following information, share those details.

Now, that being said, if you *are* using a 6TB drive with a 6TB cache size--that's excessive and counter-productive. I'd say a 500GB cache or so, at the most, is all you would ever need for even the most heavy uses (video streaming from your drive or something similar). That means that CloudDrive will store the 500GB of the most accessed/most useful data locally, and move the rest to the cloud for later access.

But here is the good news: the detail that is actually important with respect to whether or not you can disconnect the drive right away isn't actually the cache size at all. It's the "To upload:" number that is displayed right below the pie chart in the UI (if you have any data to upload). That number is what actually represents the data that is in your cache but *not* in your cloud storage yet--and that is the only number that will prevent CloudDrive from letting you detach the drive and attach it to another system. As long as you don't have any data "to upload," you can detach the drive in less than a minute and your entire cache--whether it's 6GB or 6TB--will instantly poof. It's all just duplicated data from your cloud storage. If you actually have several TB of data *to upload*, then you're almost certainly running into other problems like daily data upload limits set by your cloud provider. And there isn't much CloudDrive can do about that. You'll just have to stop putting data on the drive and wait until it's done. 

Does that make sense?

I'm attaching a screenshot. Fixed cache 200gb its exceeding that and will not clear. Latest stable release.stablebit.png.4b9ad5722d245f18b9da018696c1a2b5.png

You just need to open a ticket for that one. The fixed cache shouldn't grow beyond its setting at all. The writes to the drive should simply be throttled. You didn't *change* the cache from another setting at some point, did you? If so, it might be in the process of shrinking. 

That being said though, your problem here isn't actually the cache--which is that small darker blue section of the pie. According to your image you have over 5 TB to upload. Have you checked the drive usage in Resource Monitor or a similar tool to see if anything is indeed writing to the drive? That is technically a part of the cache, but it isn't representative of the cache growing to fill the disk. CloudDrive thinks, for one reason or another, that there are 5 TB of data that have been written to it that need to be uploaded to the cloud. That's what's taking up all of that space. The only non-bug explanation I can think of, based on this image, is that 10mpbs *will* exceed Google's 750GB/day upload limit and give you an API lock-out every day. So if something *is* writing to the drive, it won't be able to upload it all in the time available each day--which will continue to fill the drive. But ostensibly not with a fixed cache regardless. 

In any case, this needs a proper ticket for Alex and Christopher to take a look at. Unless you changed your cache from expandable or something while a ton of data was already waiting to be uploaded, that behavior is abnormal. Once you submit a ticket and have a number, you should also just go ahead and run the troubleshooter (http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_Troubleshooter) and attach the ticket number so they can take a look at the environment. Submit everything, and it'll collect about 300MB of information and upload it for them to poke around in. 

Out of curiousity: does Windows also show that the drive is full? It isn't a UI or reporting error with CloudDrive is it?