Slow write speed from ubuntu VM to windows host

shrimants

Question

im running some disk intensive operations. I'm seeing that the transfer speed between my ubuntu VM and the windows host with the drivepool store on it is VERY slow. only 10-15MB/s. I have the drivepool volume mounted in hyperV as a CIFS volume. I have all the disks set to maximum performance mode (optimize for performance, disable write caching, etc). Is there anything I can do to make this go faster? Via usb-3 my write speeds were closer to 120MB/s, so im not sure why the VM is so slow at writing to this share.

3 answers to this question

From personal experience, both virtualbox and vmware's disk sharing between host and guest are atrociously slow for nowadays standards. Especially large number of smaller files is just unusably slow for stuff like searches without indices or web development where multiple small files need to bread in short timespan. I would advise against using this sort of setups for anything but testing, but that's just me.

Try to share the same disk/folder via ftp if the networks speed via ftp jumps to decent levels (as I guess) the virtual NIC has nothing to do with your slowness.

As a further test you may want to test the SMB speed on a android device. Just use ES file explorer, ANDSMB (or something like that) to access your windows CIFS share and see if the speed is slow also there.

Given the the ever changing SMB/Cifs protocol, the problem may reside in password encription, the lack of SMB1 compatibility,  or other novelties introduced in latest Windows release.