StableBit Scanner has determined that at least one sector on one of your disks is unreadable

pofo14

Question

I have a new drive that Scanner is detecting 234295 unreadable sectors.  I started a filescan and things came back from that OK - but the error obviously is still there.  This drive is under warranty - should I be looking to replace this drive or are these unreadable sectors OK.

7 answers to this question

If SMART is also telling you there are uncorrectable errors then yes, RMA it. Chances are that if you do a next scan, the count of unreadable sectors goes up. That has been my experience mostl;y, except for a few cases where the unreadable sectors were caused at the time of / by a power outage.

@pofo14  I would recommend running the "Burst Test" on the drive.  You can right click on it to do so.  

If that comes back with issues, it may be a bad connection.  Try reseating the connectors for the drive, or maybe swap out the cable.  Then re-run the test.  If that comes back with issues, you may have an issue with the drive or controller. 

If it comes back clean, then yes, definitely RMA the drive. 

On 10/10/2018 at 1:00 PM, Christopher (Drashna) said:

@pofo14  I would recommend running the "Burst Test" on the drive.  You can right click on it to do so.  

If that comes back with issues, it may be a bad connection.  Try reseating the connectors for the drive, or maybe swap out the cable.  Then re-run the test.  If that comes back with issues, you may have an issue with the drive or controller. 

If it comes back clean, then yes, definitely RMA the drive. 

So I have run a burst test for 24 hours with no issues. Scandisk /R returned no errors but it still shows damaged in Scanner. 

There are no SMART errors.

Should I RMA this disk?

Yeah, I would. 

Though, if you want to double check, clear the status and rescan the sectors. 

https://stablebit.com/Support/Scanner/2.X/Manual?Section=Disk Scanning Panel#Sector Map

If they come back, then they're still an issue.  And I would DEFINITELY recommend RMAing the drives.  If they don't come back, then it's a good chance that they were fixed.

1 hour ago, Christopher (Drashna) said:

Yeah, I would. 

Though, if you want to double check, clear the status and rescan the sectors. 

https://stablebit.com/Support/Scanner/2.X/Manual?Section=Disk Scanning Panel#Sector Map

If they come back, then they're still an issue.  And I would DEFINITELY recommend RMAing the drives.  If they don't come back, then it's a good chance that they were fixed.

Thanks for this input.  I cleared the status, and did a rescan and the errors cleared out.  I will continue to monitor.

As always thanks for the help and great support.

Ken