Drive Letter Assignment issues...

thepregnantgod

Question

Yes, first world problems...

But I have my pool assigned to H: and all my Plex Media pointed there.

Upon reboot - DESPITE MANUALLY ASSIGNING THE DVD DRIVE LETTERS - the DVD drives upon boot take the initial letters shifting my Pool Letter to L:

Is there a work around from this?  Is it a matter of somehow having Drivepool load first?  

My DVD drives are assigned to my RAID expander cards - not the mobo - if that matters.

8 answers to this question

Hmm, none of those letters are an ideal solution for a Pool volume.  <_<

How about mounting your DvD drives to folder paths themselves, instead of allowing them to take up precious letters?  It's rare that I see systems that have used all available drive letters, and that's a situation where folder mount points get very useful.

I currently only have two drive letters in my system - C: (boot) and D: (for the pool).  Everything else, whether it is an actual volume, or virtual drive, is mounted in a folder on the C: drive.  I have 9 pool drives and 4 parity drives all mounted inside C:\Pool_Drives.  I have a temp drive for large FTP downloads mounted to the C:\FTP-Temp\ folder.

Gh4I9SN.png

It might be an ideal solution for you to start mounting all your physical drives (except C: of course) to paths on C:, so that you can free up some drive letters.  You can de-assign drive letters and assign folder paths in the Windows Disk Management tool.  The only pre-requisite is that the folders to map a volume to have to exist prior to the mapping.

On 10/8/2018 at 5:46 PM, thepregnantgod said:

Is there a work around from this?  Is it a matter of somehow having Drivepool load first?  

Nope.  This is a Windows issue.  It's not something we can really fix, or workaround because of how the drive letters are assigned. 

Assigning the pool a letter towards the end of the alphabet is your best bet.  

As for plex, you should be able to reconfigure the libraries.  It should scan, but it shouldn't take as long as the initial scan did. 

On 10/9/2018 at 10:50 PM, Jaga said:

Hmm, none of those letters are an ideal solution for a Pool volume.  <_<

How about mounting your DvD drives to folder paths themselves, instead of allowing them to take up precious letters?  It's rare that I see systems that have used all available drive letters, and that's a situation where folder mount points get very useful.

I currently only have two drive letters in my system - C: (boot) and D: (for the pool).  Everything else, whether it is an actual volume, or virtual drive, is mounted in a folder on the C: drive.  I have 9 pool drives and 4 parity drives all mounted inside C:\Pool_Drives.  I have a temp drive for large FTP downloads mounted to the C:\FTP-Temp\ folder.

It might be an ideal solution for you to start mounting all your physical drives (except C: of course) to paths on C:, so that you can free up some drive letters.  You can de-assign drive letters and assign folder paths in the Windows Disk Management tool.  The only pre-requisite is that the folders to map a volume to have to exist prior to the mapping.

Hi @Jaga- random thread hijack - apologies @thepregnantgod: Are there any advantages of mounting pools (and / or  drives) as shortcuts rather than drive letters, other than freeing up drive letters? And if you just unmount the physical drives in Disk Management, I presume DP can still see them and convert them to a pool which can either be mounted as a drive letter or as a shortcut? Cheers!

Not sure of advantages or disadvantages.

But to confirm, DP can see unmounted drives and add them so long as they are formatted in the same format as the pool you are adding them to (i.e. if I have a NTFS pool, it won't show me any ReFS drives I have to add).

I don't like using the "mount to folder" option because one time I did that, forgot about the folder, and deleted it.  Which deletes everything on the volumes as well.  

8 minutes ago, thepregnantgod said:

I don't like using the "mount to folder" option because one time I did that, forgot about the folder, and deleted it.  Which deletes everything on the volumes as well.  

[please delete - mis-post!]

Edited by cocksy_boy
please delete!

7 minutes ago, thepregnantgod said:

:o:o:o

OK, thats a good enough reason for me not to mount as a folder - I'd be bound to screw it up by and delete all by mistake!