Few requests

steffenmand

Question

I have a couple of requests i have had for a while!

1. Can we mark all attached drives in the main overview with "green" so we can see what has been attached (just like non-attached are yellow). Would be nice to see what is attached - especially when you use multiple accounts and have a hard time remembering which drive is located where (especially if you need to reauthorize)

2. Queued pinning - make sure only 1 drive can pin at a time - sometimes several drives start pinning and the CPU usage goes to 100% as it goes max thread count on all drives! Would be nice that only 1 drive can pin at a time so i dont have to struggle with cancelling some of the pinnings to control my server.

3. Limit the amount of threads for pinning! Using 20 threads can quickly suck up all the juice for pinning. Would prefer pinning only using maybe 25% of the threads or maybe 50% so there is still threads free for usage

4. Some safeguard tool so we can recover our data if Covecube at some point should shut down - currently we are relying on your servers to function!

Hope some of these things can be incorporated into the product as the product since the beginning has gone to be super awesome - these are the last few challenges i have!

16 answers to this question

1. Requested: https://stablebit.com/Admin/IssueAnalysis/27967
  2. Requested https://stablebit.com/Admin/IssueAnalysis/27968
  3. Requested with #2, as they're heavily related, I think
  4. We do have a basic plan for this, and it would basically be to remove the licensing component of the software, which is the only part that relies on our servers.  Everything else is completely independant, and doesn't touch our servers.  
    But really, the plan right now is to get things so that this isn't a concern.

On 10/12/2018 at 10:12 PM, Christopher (Drashna) said:

Glad to hear it!  And yeah, we don't get anywhere near the number of bug reports, that we used to. (which is a mixed blessing :D)

Though, there are other products and services to release now, too. 

Of course - hope you will look into the pinning issue though - that is a pain in the ass as my computer gets stuck when several drives starts pinning at the same time

On 10/12/2018 at 2:45 PM, Jaga said:

New service to replace BitFlock?  :D 

Actually, yes.  That's part of what we want to do with StableBit Cloud. :)

On 10/15/2018 at 2:36 AM, steffenmand said:

Of course - hope you will look into the pinning issue though - that is a pain in the ass as my computer gets stuck when several drives starts pinning at the same time

Good news!  the latest beta has a concurrency limit, that you can configure.  It defaults to 2 drives, right now.  So this should help you out greatly! 

http://dl.covecube.com/CloudDriveWindows/beta/download/StableBit.CloudDrive_1.1.1.1057_x64_BETA.exe

* [Issue #27968] Added a concurrency limit to metadata pinning (PinDiskMetadata_Concurrency).

Awesome - however i still must note that pinning uses massive amounts of CPU (i7-8700K = 99% in intervals) - does it really require that much computing?

i would still also request that pinning could be limited to X amount of threads. That way pinning doesnt start to use all threads and maybe the CPU usage goes down (although i know that it is not the usage of all threads causing the CPU usage)

3 hours ago, srcrist said:

For what it's worth, I see less than 5% usage, generally, on my E3-1245v2. So that might be a bug of some form. I don't think that CPU usage is typical. Certainly not for an 8700k. 

Do you have multiple drives on multiple accounts ? (i got 12 drives on 5 accounts)

Usually goes crazy bananas right after it starts pinning.

The rest of the time it is like you say - less than 5%. Upload, Download whatever - only with the pinning it goes crazy!

On 10/26/2018 at 2:21 AM, steffenmand said:

Awesome - however i still must note that pinning uses massive amounts of CPU (i7-8700K = 99% in intervals) - does it really require that much computing?

THis is probably one of the weird artifacts of how file APIs are handled.  Opening files is CPU intensive.  It usually a tiny spike, but if a lot of files are touched, this can add up. 

9 hours ago, Christopher (Drashna) said:

THis is probably one of the weird artifacts of how file APIs are handled.  Opening files is CPU intensive.  It usually a tiny spike, but if a lot of files are touched, this can add up. 

So the massive CPU usage can not be avoided ? :(

My server ends up a cluster fuck as 12 drives pretty much are pinning all the time as when one finishes a new one begins.

I got this error on multiple cpu's both xeon , i7-7700 and now i7-8700K :(

13 hours ago, steffenmand said:

So the massive CPU usage can not be avoided ? :(

That depends on the cause, specifically.  Still not sure why you're seeing such high usage though...

13 hours ago, steffenmand said:

My server ends up a cluster fuck as 12 drives pretty much are pinning all the time as when one finishes a new one begins.

I got this error on multiple cpu's both xeon , i7-7700 and now i7-8700K :(

It *may* be possible to throttle the usage, but I'm not sure.

Also, is this for a single core, or across many/all of the cores?

Let me flag this, and see if there is something we can do. 
https://stablebit.com/Admin/IssueAnalysis/27986

Also.... it may be help to "record" this with the Windows Performance Recorder.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/test/wpt/windows-performance-recorder

10 hours ago, Christopher (Drashna) said:

That depends on the cause, specifically.  Still not sure why you're seeing such high usage though...

It *may* be possible to throttle the usage, but I'm not sure.

Also, is this for a single core, or across many/all of the cores?

Let me flag this, and see if there is something we can do. 
https://stablebit.com/Admin/IssueAnalysis/27986

Also.... it may be help to "record" this with the Windows Performance Recorder.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/test/wpt/windows-performance-recorder

Its all cores! Goes completely bananas and makes the server unresponsive and leaves me fighting to cancel pinning.

Got 12 drives divided on 5 accounts. 

Some of them made with pre-release - dont know if that effects it ?

Will try to do as asked.

Must add that i didnt have the issue 5 months ago! Something which came with newer versions