Unduplicated files

crankycowboy

Question

**Disclaimer** I did actually search before asking this, but didn't find a concrete answer.

I had a drive showing bad sectors. I removed the drive from the pool and RMA'd the drive. When the new drive arrived, I added it to the pool, re-measured and re-balanced. Everything went smooth and seems to be fine. I have duplication set to "pool file duplication".  After everything "settled" after installing the new drive....the new drive has a little over 200 GB of "unduplicated" data.  I don't recall having this unduplicated section before. I don't have any files set in the settings not to duplicate.  Just wondering why this is happening and how to rectify?  Thanks in advance!

8 answers to this question

13 hours ago, Umfriend said:

My guess is there is a (hidden) System Volume Information folder that is taking a lot of space, most likely in the actual root of the drive (there will also be such a folder in the hidden PoolPart.* folder).

Well my main ssd drive that hosts all the system files isn't part of my pool.  These "new" unduplicated files just showed up on my new drive only.  Would there be additional hidden system files within the pool?  Is there a way to see what files are in the "unduplicated" portion?

Your new HDD will have a System Volume Information folder. I was not talking about the main/boot/C:\ drive. Have a look first. You may need to give yourself some rights to that folder.

But I may have been silly. Is it 200GB unduplicated or just "other"? If it is unduplicated then you may want to look at:

Thanks again Umfriend. I'm running a duplication consistency scan via the command line exe you referred me to. I will report back after that is done. Just some additional info: the "unduplicated" files seem to be growing. They are up to 277 GB now (see attached picture). I'm really perplexed as to what is going on here.

unduplicated.PNG