Local Drive Size 9.99TB limit

gtosnipey

Question

I originally set my CloudDrive to 10TBs.  After realizing I'd need more I increased the size to 50TBs.  It works fine except my drive letter "Google Drive - CloudDrive (F)" shows 391GB free of 9.99TB even though its a 50TB cloud drive.  I tried detatching and reattaching the drive and remounting it.  Anyone have any idea how to show the accurate representation of the available space?

clouddrive.thumb.PNG.9c0126f290cf50e5392387b60bc9ef10.PNG

5 answers to this question

And if that doesn't work, you can use Diskpart to fix the volume:

• Open an elevated command prompt (administrator)
  • Run Diskpart:  DISKPART.exe
  • List all volumes in use:  DISKPART> list volume
  • Select volume you want to correct size on:  DISKPART> select volume x  (where x is the number of the volume)
  • Extend the file system on the chosen volume:  DISKPART> extend filesystem

I use this regularly when Windows doesn't properly resize/recognize a volume during a shrink/extend on a drive.

4 hours ago, Jaga said:

And if that doesn't work, you can use Diskpart to fix the volume:

• Open an elevated command prompt (administrator)
  • Run Diskpart:  DISKPART.exe
  • List all volumes in use:  DISKPART> list volume
  • Select volume you want to correct size on:  DISKPART> select volume x  (where x is the number of the volume)
  • Extend the file system on the chosen volume:  DISKPART> extend filesystem

I use this regularly when Windows doesn't properly resize/recognize a volume during a shrink/extend on a drive.

Thanks, increase but the maximum I can increase is 16TBs based on "cluster size". I get an error saying "Virtual Disk Service Error: The volume cannot be extended because the number of clusters will exceed the maximum number of clusters supported by the file system."  Anyone know a way around this?

Unfortunately I think you're stuck with emptying the current volume, then re-creating it with a larger cluster size so you can get a larger volume.

I've never tried 3rd party partition management tools with a Cloud Drive, but I highly doubt they'll work on it the same way they do on conventional volumes.

Extend it to 16TBs, then create another partition.  Then pool those together in DrivePool. 

Otherwise, you should create a new drive.  (you'd have to format it, and readd the data... so it's better to just create a new drive).

Edit:  Also, the specific reason for this is that the default cluster size for drives when formatting is 4kb.  This means that the max size is 16TB, because there is a limit to the number of clusters can be used.   

And the problem is, that you can only safely set this when formatting the drive.   There are tools that can change it, but you risk corrupting data when you do that. And ... that's a lot of changed data that needs to be reuploaded.  Again... making creating a new drive a better option.