Google Drive File System Damaged

omniaton

Question

Stablebit Scanner displays "A file system on this disk is not healthy and needs to be repaired. " When I try to repair the volume, I get "Task failed. Shutting down" after sometime. I tried running chkdsk manually first with no parameters and it doesn't report any errors . I was still having errors and CloudDrive threw a few mismatch errors at me so I ran chkdsk /f but now it ran with errors. There were a few similar threads posted before but they were either unanswered or simply wanted to remove the notification instead. I'm not sure how feasible chkdsk /r is considering the drive is allocated as 256 TB with about 20TB written on it. I do have gigabit internet which should help read faster but I don't know. Can someone point me to the right direction to figure this out. Thanks!

EDIT: Trying to scan in Windows explorer also fails. This is what the event log says.

Chkdsk was executed in scan mode on a volume snapshot.  

Checking file system on F:
The shadow copy provider had an error. Check the System and Application event logs for more information.

A snapshot error occured while scanning this drive. You can try again, but if this problem persists, run an offline scan and fix.

Edited by stringybird

1 answer to this question

On 9/29/2018 at 2:17 PM, stringybird said:

Chkdsk was executed in scan mode on a volume snapshot.  

Checking file system on F:
 The shadow copy provider had an error. Check the System and Application event logs for more information.

A snapshot error occured while scanning this drive. You can try again, but if this problem persists, run an offline scan and fix.

This is the issue.  And probably weren't using "/scan" when you checked. 

Specifically, the issue is that the online scans take a snapshot of the disk (Using the volume shadow copy service, aka VSS), and then check that snapshot.

The problem is.... VSS does not support volumes that are 64TBs or larger. 

The solution here .... is to shrink your partition to 60TBs, add more partitions, and pool them together.  

That should fix the issue.