Removing drive process

TerryMundy

One of my drives needs to be removed.  However, after I selected Remove, I see a counter making its way to 100%.  This is taking a long time for a 4TB drive.

My question is, what exactly is DrivePool doing during the removal process?  I would like to just yank it out and be on my way but I will be patient as there has to be a reason for the countdown.

Thanks,

Terry

The removal moves all of the data off of the drive, and then removes it from the pool. 

If you're using duplication, you could use the "duplicate data later" option.  That will skip moving the duplicated data, and then reduplicate it after the disk is removed. But it still has to move the unduplicated data off of the drive. 

https://stablebit.com/Support/DrivePool/2.X/Manual?Section=Removing a Drive from the Pool

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for helping out so quickly!  That was what I thought but wasn't patient enough to stare at the screen to verify.  Watching 20GB files move from drive to drive is like watching water to boil.

I'll bookmark the link you sent and refer back to it before posting.

Thanks,

Terry

lol, yeah, I know what you mean.  Personally, I used to use the "Drive Usage Limiter" to empty the drive out prior to removing it, to make it quicker. Though, that isn't as needed on the current release.

And TB of data is slower. roughly 4 hours per TB, longer for DrivePool (since we use a background I/O priority for the move)....