Cannot remove disk from Pool

kiritaku

Question

Hello everyone,

One of my disks has bad sectors and creases to work bit by bit. I tried getting as much data of it as possible and now I want to remove it from the pool.

However removal by itself doesn't work. Neither do any of the three options given when removing a drive. Can I just physically remove the drive or will my pool get corrupted? 

Error-Message translates to "File or Directory are damaged and not readable"

Greetings 

David

4 answers to this question

You can shut the system down, physically remove the drive, then boot up and remove the drive from the pool.  At the point where the drive is "missing", Drivepool should stop trying to access it, which is what I suspect is giving you problems.  It won't affect the other drives in the pool or the data on them.

https://stablebit.com/Support/DrivePool/2.X/Manual?Section=Removing a Drive from the Pool

Scroll down to "Removing Damaged Drives".

@Jaga If you add "#Removing Damaged Drives" to the title, it will jump to that section, actually.  And that's true for any of the banners on any of the pages. 

@kiritaku Yes, you can do that.  However, if the data on the drive was not duplicated, then you will lose whatever files on that drive that were not duplicated. And unfortunately, StableBit DrivePool doesn't maintain an independant list of files.  If all of the data was duplicated, then you're fine, and have nothing to worry about.

And yes, you'd need to remove the "missing" disk from the pool before you can use it again (it will be in a read only state until then).
Additionally, once you remove the disk, it will check the pool, and reduplicated any files that it needs to.

42 minutes ago, Christopher (Drashna) said:

@Jaga If you add "#Removing Damaged Drives" to the title, it will jump to that section, actually.  And that's true for any of the banners on any of the pages. 

So we have anchors on those pages, that's good to know!

@kiritaku - hope all went well with your pool changes.