Scan File System despite no letter assigned?

thepregnantgod

Question

I have Stablebit Scanner set to scan my file systems every day.  Regardless, I get warnings from Windows that says one of my disks has an error and I should run chkdisk.

Because none of my drives have letters assigned, I have to go through 35 drives, assign letters individually and then run chkdsk.

Shouldn't Stablebit Scanner being doing this instead?  Or does that also require a letter assigned to scan the filesystem?

4 answers to this question

Scanner doesn't require a drive letter, even for a file system check.  All nine (9) drives in my pool are mounted into subfolders on C:, and Scanner does it's regular surface & file system checks on them without complaint.  I believe Scanner uses chkdsk for file systems, but to run deeper manual (command prompt) analysis/fixes with chkdsk a drive letter is easiest yes.

Scanner will scan them even -without- mounting them to a drive letter.  If you want to run chkdsk in a command prompt, the easiest method is giving the drive a letter and then running it.

There should be no need to delete a folder, especially if a drive is mounted to that folder.

If you want to force a re-check in Scanner of the file system on a drive, make sure Automatic scanning is enabled (the big button up top), and "Perform work at any time of the day" is enabled in the General tab in Settings.  Then click the + to the left of the drive, scroll down to file system health, click the down arrow next to it to open it, then the down arrow next to the swirling green arrow.  Choose either Mark all file systems unchecked, or Mark all Damaged file systems unchecked.  Scanner should then kickoff a File System check on that particular drive.

You can have both a drive letter and a folder mount point assigned to any hard drive at any time (or neither).  They are not mutually exclusive.  Add a letter, remove a letter, mount to a folder, unmount from a folder - however you want to use it.  Scanner doesn't truly care.

StableBit Scanner doesn't require a drive letter to scan the drives.  It uses the "Volume ID" (you can run "mountvol" to see these) to scan the drives.

However, Windows may be flagging the files based on info that StableBit Scanner isn't checking.

As for assigning drive letters .... maybe you should mount them to folder paths:
http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Q4822624