Disk listed as missing in Drivepool, really isn't!

Kaylus

Question

Hello,

I am expanding and attempting to move from Drive Bender so I cleared my pooled drives up and placed the data on a 2TB drive, the others I have off to the side to clean up and add later. I then added a 4TB drive to the system and installed Drive Pool. I copied all of my data into the Pool and restarted since I was seeing strange capacity numbers.

Upon rebooting my 2TB drive shows up in WHS Add-In for Drivepool as "Missing" and gives me the option to remove it from the pool. I then click over to StableBit Scanner and there are no S.M.A.R.T. errors and the scanner is scanning it stating "The disk is not showing any signs of wear and is not overheating".

I can access the drive through WHS Disk Management where it shows Healthy, and even access the file system on the disk. There is no option to reconnect the drive. Is there something I am missing?

Kind Regards,

Kevin

9 answers to this question

I am having this issue as well. I'm not sure where the problem is starting. I have removed two drives from my pool to keep them from "falling" out of the pool. I have two others that just started this same behavior. I thought it might be a compatibility issue with my drives and the storage controller but I have not seen the drives disappear altogether from device manager or disk manager in windows. I'm at a loss and really would love to hear from any solutions other users have had to this problem.

edit: I wanted to add that I have not resized any partitions. no software has been added. no configuration changes have been made before the issue occurred.

I had two new identical model seagate 3gb sata drives in the pool, and each one dropped out of the pool at one time or another over several days.  A reboot brought them back for a while, then 1 would drop again.  It happened at least once to one  physical drive, and 3 times to the other.  They are on separate ATA channels in case that matters, and there are no SMART issues.  (Unfortunately I didn't confirm for each dropout that the drive was lost to Windows or just to DrivePool.)  By leaving one removed from DP the last few days, all has been stable.  The other drive is still there, seen by WHS and by Stablebit Scanner, but not in the pool.  Makes me wonder about some odd compatibility problem.  I originally thought there might be a drive or controller problem, but that seems less likely since they now coexist fine when one is "outside" of DP.

If you guys could enable tracing, and reproduce the issues?

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Log_Collection

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_2.x_Log_Collection

Also, are there any errors in the SYSTEM section of the event log that indicate that there may be an issue?

Also, if you have Scanner installed, you can run a "burst test" on the drive, to see if there is an issue with the drive/controller. Start the test and let it run overnight.