File system damage, cant access disk after repair attempt

ezelkow1

Question

I got a notice that one of my drives had filesystem errors and needed to be repaired. I let it start it and eventually it said it failed.  Now I cant access the drive at all. So what do I have to do to actually be able to use the drive again? Is all my data lost by even attempting a repair when at least it was usable before?

Capture.JPG

If I try to view it I get 'access denied'. Ive tried rebooting, changing security permissions, nothing seems to work.  I think the files do still exist since I could see when I tried changing permissions that it was about to go through every file on the drive and change them, but once it hit the first file it came up with a permissions error

6 answers to this question

I think I managed to find a way using TAKEOWN and ICACLS, since anything via a gui just kept creating all sorts of errors and were basically unusable. So letting this run to see if all permissions get reset properly.

What Im more concerned about though is, is this a common occurrence when just hitting the repair button? That you basically lose all ownership of the drive and have to completely repair permissions? It just gives me pause on  hitting anything automated in the scanner UI

On 9/21/2018 at 10:26 AM, ezelkow1 said:

What Im more concerned about though is, is this a common occurrence when just hitting the repair button? That you basically lose all ownership of the drive and have to completely repair permissions? It just gives me pause on  hitting anything automated in the scanner UI

Common, no.  But if the NTFS security descriptors are corrupted, then this can happen. 

On 9/21/2018 at 11:36 AM, ezelkow1 said:

Im also wondering why it keeps reporting that the file system is damaged. Ive run chkdsk on it multiple times and its found no errors, but scanner keeps reporting it has issues

Are you clearing the status? 

If so and it's coming back, then it's possible an issue with the API that were using. 

So it managed to get cleared after I did a full reinstall of scanner wiping out all the settings and letting it start a new scan. So something must have happened during my first install, maybe started/stopped a scan or something at a bad time? Im not sure, but after that it showed the disk as being fine