the question about drivepool

tuthm

Question

Good day!

I downloaded DrivePool, installed, have questions.

Created a pool of 2 disks (E, F).
Created a "temp" folder in the pool. Put in the settings of DrivePool x2 to the folder "temp".
In the folder "temp" created the file "1.txt". In the file "1.txt" registered the line "123".

Next, two tests:

1) On the drive "E" in the hidden folder DrivePool changed the line "123" to "1234" in the file "1.txt" and save.

Waited for a long time, nothing happens.

2) I tried changing the name of the file on the disk "E" from "1.txt" to "2.txt", after a while DrivePool scraped files (2 pieces were on "E" and as much on "F"). 

The question is why, in the first case, DrivePool did not notice that the contents of the file changed and did not inform me in any way suggesting possible actions to resolve the conflict? This is where it is set up or something I do not understand?

10 answers to this question

I started Manage Pool -> Re-measure, but after 30 minutes nothing happened. Time is different for files, one for yesterday, another for today. If DrivePool does not see a difference at the binary level, then at least it should see the difference in time?

I think I have read from Stablebit Support that that would indeed be the case. I suggest we wait until Christopher chimes in. Jaga and Spider may have ideas but it is really Chris who would know. There are actually threads in this forum that touch on this topic. Mostly threads that ask about binary comparison. If you look for it you might find some.

For the first, it's because the software isn't aware of the change.  It doesn't constantly monitor files for changes and the like.  

That may be counter intuitive, but ....  For a small pool, it would be useful. But what about a large pool with 20 disks? Or even 10?  That's ... a lot of data to actively monitor, all the time. 

However when you access the file on the pool,  it should detect the issue and flag it.

It is clear that it will be long on large pool, but is there such a function in DrivePool?
Repeated the test, I a
ttach screenshots. I access to a file through a pool, but nothing happens.

Next, I changed 1.txt file through the pool and saved it. Changes have been applied everywhere. DP did not even swear anywhere, just overwritten the files on the disks.

This is normal?

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

1 hour ago, Christopher (Drashna) said:

However when you access the file on the pool,  it should detect the issue and flag it.

Could this possibly be triggered by backup software?   I would have assumed (perhaps incorrectly) a duplication check (via the small gear in the upper-right/troubleshooting) would look at sizes/created/last-accessed and correct anything out of sync.  But not many people are going to do that on a regular basis to ensure consistency, especially since it's in the troubleshooting category.

@tuthm - try the recheck duplication and see how it works for you.  (edit)  I see you already have!  :) 

On 9/21/2018 at 12:06 PM, tuthm said:

Now I found out that the DP finds the difference in the files when I start manually "Recheck duplication".  But why does not he do it automatically? Can the program display its messages in standard Windows notifications?

Rechecking duplication is both an IO intensive process and a CPU heavy one.  Especially on a large pool. 

Eg, doing this automatically does not scale well. 

On 9/21/2018 at 8:20 PM, Christopher (Drashna) said:

13 hours ago, Christopher (Drashna) said:

Rechecking duplication is both an IO intensive process and a CPU heavy one.  Especially on a large pool. 

Eg, doing this automatically does not scale well. 

I had an access to the file, but the DrivePool did not reveal the problem. How can explain this?