Windows 10 OneDrive with download on demand and DrivePool

Sergey Klepov

Question

I decided to move onedrive to drivepool since I have 1Tb one drive space and there is not much space on system drive. Everything works correctly even with balancing in action which is great, unless I don't turn on "download files on demand" option in one drive. I noticed that if I have that option turned on (which is natural, I don't need 1Tb data copy on my disk) OneDrive starts to behave strangely and raises errors "OneDrive couldn't connect to windows" and tries to sync files infinitely while OneDrive tries to write those fictive files to disks. I had to turn off that option but that is unfortunate - I'd like to keep that option on and I'd like to keep OneDrive inside of pool. Is it possible that it will be fixed in the future?

10 answers to this question

Okay. And yeah, that's what I meant, if you'd moved the oneDrive folder to the pool.

Unfortunately, it looks like the "save space" option uses some sort of reparse point that isn't supported properly, and is causing issues. 

If you want, enable file system logging on the system in question, and upload them?
http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_2.x_Log_Collection

Specifically, enable the logging, then try accessing the files, so they error out, and then stop the logging. 

And in the meanwhile, it may be best to move the folder off of the pool. 

Well, the main idea was to use drive pool for such folder because it may be very big one... I just turned off "save space" feature for now in OneDrive.

Tried to collect logs, but that doesn't provide anything, the error is not inside of pool, the error is raised in OneDrive app which "couldn't connect to Windows"... Which goes along with high disk activity in the pool. That is pretty strange behaviour, may be it will be better to try to reproduce by yourself. Shall I report bug? I couldn't find anything about such issue so may be there was no report on it before.