Windows warning "permissions are incorrectly ordered which may cause some entries to be ineffective"

GreenApple

Question

Hello,
I have a fresh install of Windows 8.1 and I created one DrivePool using two new disks (GPT partitions).

I copied an empty folder structure that I developed from another computer but when I tried to share the folders I received a Windows warning stating that "permissions are incorrectly ordered which may cause some entries to be ineffective".
I searched and found very little assistance but it seemed to correct the problem I enable inheritance under advanced security settings.  To save time I went to the root of the DrivePool and enabled inheritance which appears to have corrected the individual folders but I received an error that the recycle bin in the pool was corrupted and I was prompted to delete the recycle bin.

My situation is that I have no files at this point, only a folder structure.  One solution is to start over and create the folder structure directly in the pool.  I have one question that I could not fine in the manual.

May I format the existing DrivePool using the windows format or do I have to remove the drives and recreate the pool?
Any other advice regarding the permissions warning is also appreciated.
Thanks,
Bob

15 answers to this question

10 hours ago, Christopher (Drashna) said:

@Jaga If you could get logs for that, it may be helpful:
http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_2.x_Log_Collection

Edit to update:  I think this is a non-issue at this point.  I redid the SSD Cache volume, and managed to get Drivepool to see un-pooled drives correctly again.  Re-added the cache volume and tried a single multi-part FTP download directly to the pool.  BitKinex cached all the parts on the C: drive, and then correctly re-assembled them on the Pool (in this case, the SSD cache volume).  I watched it all as it happened, no glitchyness or problems this time around.

I can only assume the first errors were either due to the problems I saw with DP not seeing un-pooled drives (and possibly them being mis-enumerated), or the fact that my first failed test file had veeeery long folder+filenames.  I'll post here again if it happens on another attempt with that folder/file so you can pass it along to Alex.  Or if you want, I can ticket it.

Update 2:  I can confirm the SSD Cache wasn't part of the issue (thankfully).  It was the abnormally long and convoluted folder name, which was 83 characters in length and which had brackets in it.   :)  BitKinex still came up with the error when the cache was inoperative, but the file was reassembled fine when copied straight to a normal length local folder.

Bob,

That is very odd that it would do that at all.  

As for the formatting, you can't format the Pool drive at all. You'd want to recreated the pool. But if the pool is completely empty, and the disks that you are using for the pool are likewise completely empty. Then it may be a good idea to format those disks and then re-add them to the pool.

Aside from that, before doing anything to the pool, could you enable trace logging and re-attempt the action that caused the error?

And you are definitely right, I'm seeing next to no information about this error. :(

Hello,

I enabled trace logging with the pool in it's existing state but could not reproduce the error.  I removed and recreated the pool.  I reproduced the windows security warning and uploaded the service logs per the wiki instructions.  Maybe there is some useful information in the logs.

Bob

Update

I reverted to an earlier Acronis Drive image from before installing DrivePool.

For reference I placed the same set of folders on a drive outside of the pool and experienced no issues.
I copied the same set of folders to the DrivePool and repeated the same permissions error.
I selected each folder individually and allowed windows to reorder the permissions.  I plan to continue to use DrivePool after Windows made the corrections.

On a separate note, the pool contains one 3TB drive and one 4TB drive.  Windows disk management reports the pool as 2TB.   Please let me know if this is normal.

I'm currently evaluating drive pool before i purchase it and although i like it so far, it did make me nervous running in to this same problem/error as OP.

0zMm3Pq.jpg

Even newly created folders in the pool drive generate this error when opening the security settings. I checked all the drives in the pool (and the "PoolPart.???" folder) and they all have matching 'default' security settings. All drives in the pool were freshly formatted when added to the pool but one drive was added later after the initial pool creation.

The permissions for the pool virtual drive seem to be default/normal but the permissions of  the folders in the pool drive have strange duplicated permissions.

6RDUSH6.jpg

I obviously didn't assign any permissions specific to this folder.

Last relevant information would be that i am using the regular pool protection/duplication.

Hi there,

Did you find any explanation or fix to this issue?

I am deploying DP to a fresh new PC and have exactly the same issue.

Here is the setup:

• 4 WD Red 4TB in the pool
  • Each disk freshly formatted, empty, and bitlocked with auto unlock
  • Default settings for everything in DP
  • All the drives added to the pool before doing anything in the pool drive
  • Drive letter removed for the pool drive, and mount folder added

Can confirm

(Not sure why i never responded to Christopher but the disks got a fresh format before being added to the pool.)

I don't remember what i had done before but i fixed the issue for existing files and folders, probably by reapplying inherited permissions for the objects within the drive instead of on the drive itself. Adding new folders had the same issue but doing as DrParis stated will fix it for good it looks like.

For anyone reading this and not knowing what DrParis is describing:

1. From "Computer"/"MyComputer" right click on the DrivePool drive and select properties.
  2. Click the "Security" tab.
  3. Click the "Advanced" button at the bottom.
  4. Click "Change Permissions...".
  5. Check the box that says "Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object"
  6. Press apply (might take some time to apply)

This will make all the files and folders in the drive (current and future) take the same permissions of the drive itself. If something is wrong with the permissions of the drive this might not fix the issue or might cause other issues. If you like, check and make sure that at least "System" and "Administrators" have full control.

And to add, if you have issues applying the permissions here, you may need to take ownership of the files, as well.

On WIndows 7, the "Advanced" window, has a "Owner" tab. Open that, and set the owner to "Administrators" and check the "Replace owner on child objects" option.

On Windows 8, after click on "Change permissions", fine the "Owner" section and click "Change". Set that to "Administrators", and check the "Replace owner on child objects" option.

I have had this problem a couple of times now (incorrectly ordered permissions)

I started with a pool made from three freshly formatted drives. I turned 2x duplication on and copied a whole load of files to the pool.

I thought I would have a little play so changed duplication to 3x. At the end of the duplication pass drivepool flagged it had had problems with some files - not able to get oplocks on them so implying they were in use. On looking at the specific files they were family photos in a folder that had not been accessed by anything that I could think of**(see edit) so I just clicked the duplicate now button and thought nothing of it.

After this pass it again said it couldn't get oplocks on the files. On looking a bit closer, Windows complained that the permissions on the folder that contained the files were incorrectly ordered. Now, this is a bit odd as there are several hundred files in the folder and as far as I can see Drivepool is only complaining about a few of them (although it may be not showing the full list of course).

Now, I am fairly sure that the permissions were okay when the files were copied to the pool - indeed that were copied from an external HDD with a FAT partition so no NTFS permissions should have been copied.

This is actually the second time this sort of thing happened to me. The first time I just fixed the problem and put it down to cosmic rays or something but now it has happened again I am wondering if there is something in DP that might be a teeny bit awry.

WIndows 8.1,

DP Version StableBit.DrivePool_2.1.1.561_x64

Edit: Not strictly true. The folder in question was shared and files (pictures) were being displayed by an HTPC screen saver, but I don't think this invalidates the permissions - the files were not being modified and the folder permissions were not accessible to any other device as the folder was the item shared and therefore not seen by "share-ees".  The permissions were wrong on the folder and inherited to the files.

As for the Oplock issue, that definitely means that the files are locked by something. Something is accessing them, and locking the files.  Depending on what is installed and running on the system, something could be indexing the files. Such as Windows Search, or your HTPC's screensaver accessing the files.

As for the permissions, that's ... odd. If you can reproduce the issue, could you enable logging and do so?

Also, could you check the permissions of the folders/files on the different disks? (in the hidden PoolPart folders) and make sure they're the same?

Wanted to post this out here so the Stablebit team has a reference for a similar issue.

Added a SSD Cache (single volume on a SSD drive) to my existing pool, created a folder inside the regular pool structure, and then started a multipart FTP download using BitKinex of a single file to the new folder.  After the download completed, BitKinex tried to re-assemble the parts in the folder and failed.

If I then open properties on that folder and choose the Security tab, I see the exact same error message:  "permissions are incorrectly ordered which may cause some entries to be ineffective".  I then wiped out that folder and tried a new one just for a standard file copy test which worked fine (as expected).  The SSD cache volume showed an increase in size proportional to the file that was copied to the test folder, and I fully expect it will hit the main pool drives soon.

Whatever file-assembly mechanism BitKinex uses for multi-part FTP transfers seems to have an issue with the folder on the SSD cache volume.  It states that "no such folder exists", and can't re-assemble the parts correctly.  I'm not sure if other multi-part FTP programs would have the same issue, but since I rely on BitKinex to saturate my Internet pipe (8MB/s vs 42MB/s is no contest), I'll have to disable the Drivepool SSD cache for now.

If you'd like other info or tests run (or have suggestions for a workaround) let me know.

Edit:  resolved - see post updates below.