Data Lost - Zero Byte Files

BackupJim

Question

I run both Stablebit Drivepool and Stablebit Scanner. I came home yesterday to find my always on server had shutdown, upon rebooting I found that approximately 25% of my files have become corrupted and are reading as 0 byte files. I have run a scan on all drives within stablebit scanner overnight, and one was highlighed as having a corrupt file system. I tried to repair it from within the canner dashboard but that repair failed. I have run chkdsk /F on all drives, and some reported something to do with found free space, but no files have been recovered. Can anyone suggest anything that I could try to repair the files? Some are irreplacable. I have tried running a scan with some recovery software, with little success. It listed 2 files that i could recover on one of the drives (approx 2000 are affected).

Thanks in advance - Jim (and apologies if I havent posted this in the correct forum)

3 answers to this question

First, I'm sorry to hear about the troubles, as that is never pleasant! 

One thing I've found is that not all recovery software is created equal.  Some are betters at others, and some are better at some things than others. 

Have you tried PhotoRec, or Recuva yet?  If not, they may work better. 

Also, have you tried the "Restore Previous Versions" on the files/folders in question? 

Otherwise, did you have copies of these files, somewhere else?