Standard pool uses 4KB cluster size?

Jaga

Question

I was looking at different ways of caching the pool for reads/writes, and saw something interesting in the Primocache add volume interface.  It reports the DP NTFS pool volume as using 4KB clusters, instead of the size that all of the pool drives use which is 64KB.

ss1Vggl.png

Is that normal for the virtual disk, or perhaps just incorrectly reported by Primocache?  If not and I'm using 64KB clusters on all pool drives, should I be interested in changing it on the virtual pool volume to match?  If so, how would I go about doing that, and is it safe to do?

3 answers to this question

The Pool drives uses no cluster size. Period.

However, during the startup process, the system expects certain information to exist.  Since some of it ... just doesn't, the drive reports some default values. That's part of why you may see 2TBs reported for the drive size in some places. Like .... here, as well. 

There are also some compatibility reasons to use 4K clusters, as well.

Gotcha, thanks.  I didn't think it did use clusters, but had to ask to be sure.  Even how it reports the pool from an architecture standpoint could affect another piece of software dealing with it.  And, every time prior to this when I've cached a pool using Primocache, I did it to the underlying drives.  This time I also wanted to investigate whether I could cache a child pool directly (as opposed to the raw drive), and noticed the cluster in the UI.

Cheers.