Read only pools

Jaga

Question

On 1/5/2016 at 3:04 PM, Christopher (Drashna) said:

However, if you want, this behavior can be disabled, with the advanced config settings:

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_2.x_Advanced_Settings

Set the "RemoveDrive_PoolReadOnly" value to "False" and restart the StableBit DrivePool Service, or reboot the system. 

Trying to get fully up to speed on drive removal, missing drives, workarounds, read-only pools, etc.  Was this tag deprecated or retired?  I can't seem to find it or anything similar in the .json file for Drivepool 2.X.

3 answers to this question

Yeah, I think it was depreciated, as we drastically overhauled the removal process, to make it much more seamless.  

In fact, when removing a disk now, the pool is not put into a read only mode.  Though, duplicated data may be "marked" as read only (errors out on writes). So this setting was rendered obsolete. 

6 minutes ago, Christopher (Drashna) said:

In fact, when removing a disk now, the pool is not put into a read only mode.  Though, duplicated data may be "marked" as read only (errors out on writes). So this setting was rendered obsolete. 

Thanks for the info Christoper!  Does the same hold true for pools with missing disks?  Everything I've read indicates that they -do- go into read-only mode, for consistency's sake.  However there's no verbiage to that effect in the 2.x docs.  I'm just trying to get a really firm grasp on the mechanics of degraded pools and their response to certain conditions, without using my production pool to test.  :D 

No.  Missing disks cause the pool to go read only. Period. 

There has never been an option to change that, because any data written could cause corruption, as the data may/will get out of sync.   So to prevent that, the pool is made read only until the missing disk is resolved.