OS/Drive Pool Migration

andybflo

Question

Hi All!

Looking for a little guidance. 

I currently have a WHS 2011 machine that's being used more significantly than I thought (good thing, right?) I'm in the planning and ordering phase of  upgrading to a Server 2012 Essentials machine with a lot more grunt. And, of course, migrating the two programs that have saved my data quite a few times (DrivePool and Scanner.)

In doing so, I'm considering upgrading to DrivePool 2.x from DrivePool 1.3.7572. What's the best way to go about it? OS upgrade, install DP 1.3.x, let it rebuild the pool/duplication, then upgrade? Do it all at once (Upgrade to SBS12E, install DP 2.x, slap the drives in and cross fingers)? Ignore it, and keep letting the wife complain about lag time on the old server? 

Is there a prescribed way? Even if it's to un-duplicate the data, add, and re-duplicate, whatever seems to work best I'm in for....

Thanks for your help in advance, and have a great New Year!

-Andy

5 answers to this question

Well, there is no "upgrade" option. It's a clean install or not at all. :(

As for the pool, reinstall the OS, install DrivePool 2.x and then run the WSS Troubleshooter and use the "Restore DrivePool Shares" option:

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Utilities

But if lag is the issue you're having.... then I have a link for you:

http://forum.wegotserved.com/index.php/topic/8335-before-you-post-media-stuttering-playback-issues-performance-irregularities/

Ignore the fact that the link is for WHSv1. All the same things still apply. Well, aside from the services stuff.

Christopher-

The lag isn't with disk access...  Your program works great. 

The problem is everything else you begin to think.... "Hey, that'd be great to have run non-stop on another PC...."

It's time for more memory, processor, and a second ATTO drive controller; so. Yeah. Time to sell a kidney or child or something and build a proper server.

Thanks again for all the help!

-Andy

I agree... That's what I've been doing. I started with a WHSv1 machine, on a Core2Duo, some orphaned (Old and slow) HDDs, an old desktop PC motherboard, and 2GB of RAM. I pieced together a server, doing incremental upgrades. As, I'm sure, many of us do/did to start. I already bumped from the Core2Duo to a Xeon about 18 months ago; it helped a lot, and kept me where I'm still "happy" with the machine.

I need memory. And, although my CPU is keeping up, streaming two full 1080p Blu-Ray ISOs to two Dune HDIs is taxing the heck out of it. Any basic function call causes stuttering on the CPU, not the network or drive arrays. And my MoBo is an LGA-775. The OS limits memory, and my motherboard limits the types of CPUs I can run (775 is an old(er) standard; not a lot new there.) WHS max supports 8GB, according to their published specs. That's my problem. 

Now that the "proof of concept" phase has shown value, I'm at an odd crossroads. I have to upgrade the MoBo to get a newer/faster CPU; and I'm still RAM limited.If I just swap out motherboards; why reinstall an "old" product; I'm at the point of having to re-install anyway. Do I go big? Or piddle around? If I stick with WHS11, I'm limited in RAM, CPU count, and inherently from my hardware that I currently own, the amount/type of PCI slots I'd like to do this "right." The current case is a Norco 4020, in a 42U rack in the basement; and I have one open drive caddy left. So, again, I'm pretty much there. 

I'm bumping against the ceiling with what I run now. It's time to do some hardware work. 

So, dual LGA2011 CPUs, 64GB of RAM, a second ATTO SAS card (One, a HF60 is already filled; 48tb on the array currently, with 8tb free, as an FYI.), and another Norco case for more HDDs. 

I purchased the OS (Server 2012E), memory, and motherboard. Drive controller is being requisitioned (I have a contact at the company; it's local, and I'm getting one through an employee @ 5% over cost, still not cheap, but better), and I just need to order CPUs and a stack of cooling fans. Grab a six pack, my static strap, and a can of duster to clean out the existing case. It's game on. :)

On a positive note; if anyone asks... DrivePool works fantastic in larger arrays. It's really a great piece of software, and (don't tell him) worth several times the price of admission; I'm interested to see how well it spans the two 9600 MB/s cards, and what type of end performance I can get from it...  

How about one of these?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157470

:)

And Server 2012 Essentials supports up to 64GBs of RAM, IIRC. So that should be plenty for .... well most anything at home. You may be limited more by LAN bandwidth at that point.

And I'm glad that DrivePool is working great with a large array. Not that it surprises me though. 
And yeah, it's steal at the price. Totally worth every penny though. :)