Stuck on remote machine - how to switch back to local?

msq

Question

Hello,

Scanner 2.5.4.3216 was used to control instance on remote machine. Now I would like to go back to local but... can't :|

In the top left drop down 'Connect to' I can only see two remote servers, there is no local machine. I checked and service is running. Any hints how to switch back? Thank you!

7 answers to this question

Have you tried restarting the Scanner service?  Or a cold boot on the machine?  How about just logging out of that user account in Windows and logging back in?

You can stop the Scanner service on the machine it was connected to, then see if the local copy reverts back to the local machine.

You could also try a Repair on the Scanner installation through the Windows control panel/Settings area (depending on your version of Windows).

If none of those work, both Scanner and Drivepool are very tolerant of being uninstalled and reinstalled.  Just be sure to clear temp files with something like CCleaner in-between.

Local service is not affecting GUI connected to remote host. It can be stopped, restarted etc - GUI & remote host combo will still work.

My host machine was restarted a couple of times last few days and the problem persist. It could be IU will try to run installer once again and select 'Repair' option. Thank you for this suggestion!

And CCleaner is not something I would recommend by the way :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CCleaner#Security_flaws

Been using CCleaner now for ~12 years, never had an issue with it or security issues on a machine it was used with.

Did you try stopping the Scanner service on the remote machine (the one the GUI was connecting to over the network), and then closing/re-opening Scanner on the local machine (the one that was stuck)?  Might force it to re-source a machine in it's list to display, which would end up being the local instance.

As a last resort you can reset the Stablebit Scanner settings.  Remember that it will wipe Stablebit Scanner data for drives/file systems on the computer where the reset is done, so you'll want to manually mark them as good after re-launching.

If it happens again, let us know.  

And it may be an issue where the remote system isn't seeing the other systems properly. 

So this may help: http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_2.x_Advanced_Settings#RemoteControl.xml

Otherwise, close the UI, and delete the contents of "%AppData%\StableBit DrivePool", and then start the UI back up.