Almost always balancing

The_Saver

Question

I have a bit of a strange problem which was caused since I moved a lot of small files onto my DrivePool.

I have balancing set to the following:

image.png.00e858e2e45daf967b1aba2f65b160a4.png

I have 4 SSD's set up with the SSD Optimiser plugin (and 11 HDDs). My problem is that they got filled up with data while the balancing is going on.

I suspect this is because of that fact the 11 HDDs will try to balance themselves perfectly (I also have some folders with duplication enabled) hence it taking almost forever.

I want to move files out of my SSDs but this doesn't happen as the HHD's are balancing among themselves.

How can I make the HDDs stop balancing among themselves? This would ensure that the SSDs can always move files to the HDDs.

My DrivePool is constantly increasing in size so it would not be an issue if, let's say, 1 TB is deleted from a single drive because then that drive will have the lowest % of space used and new files will be put on it (I use Disk Space Equaliser).

I hope it makes sense.

Thank you for taking your time to read this! :-D

5 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Umfriend said:

I'm not actually sure but could you check what happens if you check the Not more often than every and put it at, say, an hour or so? Also, which balancers are active with which priority?

Thank you for your reply :) Here are my active balancers with priority:

image.png.2bf83e73c2422ed0d8c35c7153b45bc5.png

I could try to set it to every hour - but then my SSDs would not be able to move files to the HDDs?

If I misunderstood how it works and it doesn't need to balance in order to move files from SSDs to HDDs and take care of file duplication, then I can permanently disable it?

11 hours ago, The_Saver said:

How can I make the HDDs stop balancing among themselves? This would ensure that the SSDs can always move files to the HDDs.

My DrivePool is constantly increasing in size so it would not be an issue if, let's say, 1 TB is deleted from a single drive because then that drive will have the lowest % of space used and new files will be put on it (I use Disk Space Equaliser).

With the "Disk Space Equalizer" plugin turned -off-, Drivepool will still auto-balance all new files added to the Pool, even if it has to go through the SSD Cache disks first.  They merely act as a temporary front-end pool that is emptied out over time.  The fact that the SSD cache filled up may be why you're seeing balancing/performance oddness, coupled with the fact you had real-time re-balancing going on.  Try not to let those SSDs fill up.  :)

I would recommend disabling the Disk Space Equalizer, and just leaving the SSD cache plugin on for daily use.  If you need to manually re-balance the pool do a re-measure first, then temporarily turn the Disk Space Equalizer back on (it should kick off a re-balance immediately when toggled on).  When the re-balance is complete, toggle the Disk Space Equalizer back off.

Yeah, having the Disk Space Equalizer balancer enabled will cause issues here.  

It should be fine to use initially, but once it's done, disable it. 

Specifically, you shouldn't use these two balancers together, since they will interfere with each other.  One or the other, always.