Password for internal pool

PetabytesPlease

Question

5 answers to this question

1) But then would i be able to pool two bit locked drives with stable bit?

2) And use a single password to unlock both drives simultaneously?

3) I am also a bit weary of drive failure with encrypted drives or something else going wrong, where i presume if something does go wrong then i lose access to everything on the drives; which i why I would like some kind of non-encryption option for security/privacy and hopfully something within stable bit itself

1)  Yes, you would.  Drivepool doesn't care if they are Bitlocked - once they are unlocked it sees them like it would normal drives.  The key is to Bitlock the drives first, then create the pool using them after they are unlocked.

2)  The pool won't come online until they are unlocked.  Usually you'd auto-unlock at boot time, at which point Drivepool would mount the pool and you can access it.  Either way is fine.

3)  That's one reason I stopped using full drive encryption (especially on the boot drive).  Had a bad experience many years ago where traditional repair tools couldn't fix issues with the disk, and I lost the build entirely.  It's less impactive on a data drive however, and I think the implementation now is a bit more stable and robust.  If memory serves, @Christopher (Drashna) also uses encrypted drives with Drivepool, so you have a good line of support for it if you choose to go that way.

More info on Bitlocker+Drivepool here - straight from the horses mouth:

Another option is to use Stablebit Clouddrive with the Local Disk feature to create a fully encrypted volume, instead of using Bitlocker.  You could make two of these (one on each drive), then pool them using Drivepool.  Or you can create a normal 2-disk pool and then put an encrypted Clouddrive on it - the choice is yours.

"Another option is to use Stablebit Clouddrive with the Local Disk feature to create a fully encrypted volume, instead of using Bitlocker.  You could make two of these (one on each drive), then pool them using Drivepool.  Or you can create a normal 2-disk pool and then put an encrypted Clouddrive on it - the choice is yours"

1) What you said above seems more appealing to me than having to use bit locker but i don't quite understand how it works. Would i have to purchase cloud drive?

2) Have this cloud-feature would open myself up to security/privacy issues because its a "cloud" i.e. remote access etc which is obviously the exact opposite of what i want to be doing

Thanks

3 hours ago, PetabytesPlease said:

1) What you said above seems more appealing to me than having to use bit locker but i don't quite understand how it works. Would i have to purchase cloud drive?

Yes, But if you own the other products, you can purchase it at a discounted price. 

As for BitLocker, it's deeply embedded as part of the "disk stack", so is pretty transparent. 

3 hours ago, PetabytesPlease said:

2) Have this cloud-feature would open myself up to security/privacy issues because its a "cloud" i.e. remote access etc which is obviously the exact opposite of what i want to be doing

No.  If you're only using the local disk provider, then it's mostly not communicating with the outside world. 

Additionally, the remote control feature only works on the local subnet IIRC, so only works locally.  and you can turn off the remote control feature, if you want.