Files getting corrupted on CloudDrive - chkdsk can't fix

blaineeasy

Question

My provider type is FTP.  Everything worked well for several months but suddenly I was trying to delete some files and got some errors.  Ran chkdsk /f on the drive and got numerous file errors with "Insufficient disk space" to resolve the issues.

Thankfully this is only one piece of my offsite backup, so after struggling and being unable to fix the errors, I decided to recreate the drive and re-upload to the FTP.

With the intent of using DrivePool as well and eventually pooling in a cloud provider, I created two FTP CloudDrive volumes, pooled them together, and began reuploading.

I'm now getting the same type of file corruption that chkdsk cannot fix.  I've contacted my friend who runs the FTP and he has told me that the drives are all healthy.

chkdsk /scan finds 4 errors but chkdsk /spotfix can't resolve them.  I run chkdsk /f and get "Insufficient disk space to correct errors"

Is there something I'm doing wrong, or maybe better FTP settings I should be using?  On my first try, my chunks were 10mb.  Now I have 100mb chunks, but the errors are pretty much the same.  I can provide more details/logs as needed.

5 answers to this question

If your friend has checked the FTP server/volumes, it's entirely possible the corruption is coming from the communications layer - specifically your ISP and dropped/re-transmitted packets to/from the server.  Have you run some reliability tests on your connection to try and rule that out?  I recommend PingPlotter - download their free 14 day trial of PingPlotter Pro (you can revert to the free edition after it's over).  You'll want to look for Packet Loss (PL%), hops with spikes in ICMP (ping) times, etc.  At least a 8-12 hour trace with an interval of 10 seconds or less would be good.  You will want to try two independent tests - one to/from his FTP server, and one to/from a known reliable Internet server farm (like google.com).  If the tests from the second are good and his are dirty, it may indicate his ISP is having issues - he'd want to run the same tests in that case.  During the tests try not to hammer your internet connection with other traffic, as it will affect the results.

Christopher may ask for logs from Clouddrive.  I generally try to rule out lower level pieces of the equation first (hardware, communications, etc) so that I know they aren't complicating the issue.

Thanks Jaga.  I didn't realize that communications would be an issue with Upload Verification checked.  The FTP has disconnected a few times, but then retries to connect is successful.  My guess is that the bottleneck is on my end.  My internet is 50 up/50 down and he has 1000/1000.  I have been limiting the rates on the CloudDrives to 20/20 to attempt to avoid any throttling from my ISP.

I will test with PingPlotter but I guess this implies that CloudDrive's verification does not protect against corruption?  If chkdsk is finding errors but not able to correct them, it worries me for the overall integrity of the data on the FTP side, even if connection issues are resolved.

Honestly, I don't know where verification is concerned.  You'd think it *would* be verifying all packets/chunks on both ends, but who knows.  The fact that FTP disconnects prior to completing means something somewhere is going on.  I've seen a lot of wonkiness (my tech term for it) over the decades with Internet communications, and it'll definitely make it easier to rule out the hardware/communications level if/when Christopher/Alex ask for logs and take a look.

Hi Christopher, no - currently, I have two volumes mounted to the same FTP.  Both are 5.25 TB, pooled together with DrivePool.  I was getting the same errors before though, with one 10TB volume and no DrivePool.  The FTP itself is a NAS with 12TB of usable space.

What does "online scan" mean in this instance?  I have been opening cmd as an admin and running chkdsk /scan, chkdsk /spotfix, and finally chkdsk /f