remeasuring and missing disks after system reboot since bitlocker encryption

JBoD

Question

Hello there,

I have the following problem: After I encrypted all my pooled drives DrivePool remeasures the whole pool after a system reboot. My system is a Windows 8.1 Pro machine and everything worked well until I encrypted the drives. The encryption runs via bitlocker and the data drives are unlocked with the autounlock feature of bitlocker.

To troubleshoot the problem I already delayed the start of the service, but the problem persists. Sometimes some disks are not even found after rebooting.

Is there anything I can do to change this?

cheers

4 answers to this question

Check these topics for some info on Bitlocker and Drivepool.  I believe the correct order is to Bitlock the individual drives, then add them to the pool.  You have to unlock them after every boot - I'm not certain if auto-unlock qualifies.  Normally Drivepool monitors for drive unlocks while waiting for pool parts to arrive.

7 hours ago, Christopher (Drashna) said:

Are you using the automatic unlock option for the disks? 

If not, make sure that you haven't disabled "BitLocker_PoolPartUnlockDetect" in the advanced settings.  
If you have, that is why you're having issues. 

I do use autounlock for the drives. I did encrypt the system drive first for testing and everything seemed to work.

I didn't disabled the setting. Before encrypting 30TB of storage, I read every Bitlocker regarding thread...so no, thats not why I am having issues.

Any other idea? Reinstalling DrivePool maybe?

Thanks for the answers.

Okay, that's odd then, because I'm using BitLocker on my desktop.  Both the system drive and the data drive are encrypted, the data drive is set to auto unlock, and I don't see this issue.  So this is pretty odd. 

And in this case, could you do this: 
http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_2.x_Boot_Time_Log_Collection