did i just lost 7~8 tb of data

aniel

Question

so for quite some time now i ran into a issue where drivepool will say a given hdd is missing and i have fixed in the pass by repairing/ reinstalling drivepool, changing hdd port, cable but in this occasion i ran out of patient after rebooting computer like 10 times and disk was still missing, the strange thing is that even though hdd showed missing in drivepool, i was able to see it under disk management, hdd sentinel, minitool partition wizard, etc. so i went ahead with  minitool partition wizard and added drive letter, remove drive letter, deleted label, windows was trying to run hdd scan for error and also let it do that and that was it, all data gone, please if anybody know how to fix this please let me know, 

any help will be appreciated, thank you 

9 answers to this question

First thing I would do is:

1. Assign a drive letter to the HDD (if it is not there already)

2. Explore the HDD with explorer. Make sure you have Explorer set to show hidden files. If it shows a PoolPart.* folder, open that one and if it shows data you have likely _NOT_ lost data.

3. If that is the case then I think you need to give more details about OS/DP Version/HDDs/MB/Controller card etc and better describe what is happening exactly. It sounds to me like you experienced behaviour that should have been addressed way earlier and, as it hasn't, must be now.

I don't see you writing about deleting/creating/formatting partitions, that's good at least.

You opened a ticket about this already, and I've responded there.  But for visiblility/ease:

More than likely not.  If you check the drive, make sure there is a hidden PoolPart folder.  If that exists, then your data should be intact. 

That said, could you run the StableBit Troubleshooter on your system? 
http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_Troubleshooter

And then reset the settings? 
http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Q2299585B

That should let us see what is going on (so we can hopefully fix whatever caused the issue, so it won't happen in the future), and resetting it should (usually) fix the issue.

Absolute worst case here, this guide, while not quite meant for this situation should be close enough:
http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_F1655

Regards

13 hours ago, Umfriend said:

First thing I would do is:

1. Assign a drive letter to the HDD (if it is not there already)

2. Explore the HDD with explorer. Make sure you have Explorer set to show hidden files. If it shows a PoolPart.* folder, open that one and if it shows data you have likely _NOT_ lost data.

3. If that is the case then I think you need to give more details about OS/DP Version/HDDs/MB/Controller card etc and better describe what is happening exactly. It sounds to me like you experienced behaviour that should have been addressed way earlier and, as it hasn't, must be now.

I don't see you writing about deleting/creating/formatting partitions, that's good at least.

here are some screenshots in case it helps 

2018-08-12_19-14-32.png

testdisk_win_2018-08-12_19-18-02.png

testdisk_win_2018-08-12_19-18-48.png

Not familiar with testdisk. Best to follow Christophers' instructions.

Is F:\ the drive this is about? Explore that through Windows Explorer and see if there is a hidden Poolpart.* folder. You could also attach it to another PC to see if you can read it from there. Did you have duplication active?

Pictures are always helpful.

And yeah, looks like the "PoolPart.xxxx" folder got corrupted/lost.  It's probably on ef the "dir#####.chk" listed in the one screenshot.

To clarify, StableBit DrivePool does not delete the PoolPart folder under ANY circumstances.  At worst, we mark it as "not part of a pool", and then remove the hidden flag.  That way, any data residing in it is still accessible.

But because you have the "found" files, it looks like the directory structure was damaged and cause the PoolPart folder to be lost. 

You should be able to run data recovery to get your data back.
However, we've had a number of users reporting VERY good results with Recuva.   There is no affiliation with the company.   It's what users have reported as working, so I wanted to pass that along to you, since it may make things much easier on you, because data loss is a shitty situation, no matter the cause.

im currently running segate file recovery suite and  r-studio, i will give a try to Recuva, and might make a case with segate, if there is any other program out there that might be able to bring the lost partition back, please let me know.