Equalise HDD and SSD usage by percentage

The_Saver

Question

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if it is possible to do the following.

The pool has a couple of SSD's and HDD's with varying sizes. The SSD's will be used to speed up the DrivePool, and the HDD's for capacity.

Whenever a new file is written to the pool it will be put on the SSD with the lowest % of its total capacity used.

After it has transferred, the file will be moved from the SSD to an HDD with the lowest % of its total capacity used.

Is it possible and how do I set it up?

Thank you :)

9 answers to this question

It may have to do to with other balancers. If you have Volume Equalization and Duplication Space Optimizers active, they may need to be de-activated _or_ you need to increase the priority of the Disk Space Equalizer plug-in such that it ranks higher than the other two (but if you have StableBit Scanner, that one should always be #1 IMHO).

I have not actually used that plug-in myself though.

Edit: Did you activate e-measure though?

On 8/5/2018 at 5:50 AM, The_Saver said:

I have tried using the plugin and setting the % option. I also have the SSD Optimiser plugin for setting the drives as SSD/Archive. However, it still just uses absolute number. Isn't that odd?

You'll need to disable the SSD Optimizer balancer.  

Do that, and see if it works (it should) 

1x128 SSD for OS, 1x8TB, 2x4TB, 2x2TB, 1x900GB. The 8TB and 1x4+1x2TB are in a hierarchical duplicated Pool, all with 2TB partitions so that WHS2011 Server Backup works. The other 4TB+2TB are in case some HDD fails. The 900GB is for trash of an further unnamed downloading client.So actually, a pretty small Server given what many users here have.