Tired of the disconnects/horrible speeds. Clouddrive is unstable to be usable

chcguy88

Question

As an owner of 3 cloud drive licenses, I'm pretty disappointed with the current performance of the product with google drive. With a 1gbps line up and down, I can't seem to keep cloud drive happy and disconnects are daily at this point. I do not upload more than 1 gb a day normally and the software is on idle, so I know its not hitting the API limit from google. My max speeds are terrible too with a whopping average of 50 mbps download before hitting throttling.  This is on the current 1.1.0.1038 version. 

The product isn't inherently bad, but with google drive speed limitations while using clouddrive, it has become unusable. 

Solving this issue I would like to combine Google filestream (I get speeds of 950 mbps from filestream - loading is basically instant) and clouddrive local stored on the filestream mounted system. I can't accomplish this as clouddrive will not let me save to non-local sources that are not physically connected internally.  I would like to remove this limitation so I can test this setup. Since google filestream is mounted as a fat32, having 20mb chunks will be optimal to not hit the 4gb limit of that file format. My only alternative to this setup is to manually encrypt my files, upload, and re-download again as it is vastly quicker at 1gbps than 50mbps.

11 answers to this question

I'm beyond frustrated  at this point. I only own 1 license so I haven't lost as much as you.. But I'm in the same boat.. The product DOES NOT WORK... The last update LITERALLY BROKE many features and the software itself.. like i CAN'T PULL UP CLOUD DRIVE AFTER IT'S BEEN MINIMIZED.. AND i CAN'T CHANGE MY I/O SETTINGS AT ALL...  it's beyond frustrating.. 

Would be nice to get an update to fix the 2 broken features.. and make it so the damn software automatically reconnects itself after a period of down time.. which seems like it would be soooo easy to add but they don't.. I'm starting to feel like this project has been abandonded by the devs.. because after they released the broken version they didn't roll back and they didn't issue a patch to fix the problems.. 

@Cobalt503 Install the beta version, that should fix most of the issues you're seeing. 

@chcguy88 For the upload, make sure that it's limited to 75mbps, otherwise you'll hit the 750GB per day, per account limitation. 

Additionally, could you open a ticket at https://stablebit.com/contact

and then run the StableBit Troubleshooter.
http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_Troubleshooter

What I am trying to do with filestream.

Stablebit.thumb.jpg.74bcd2efc781e70c5863e6c987814066.jpg

So to sum it up, I am looking to let Stablebit Cloud Drive create the chunks as if it was a local storage location. The only difference is that it would be reading and writing to the Filestream mounted drive. In this scenario, Stablebit Cloud Drive would handle drive (and by extention - chunk) creation/reading/writing, but Filestream would be in charge of actually downloading/uploading the chunks from Google Drive. The speed difference alone for upload and download are enormous if Stablebit Cloud Drive was mounted this way. (maxes out 1 gigabit line up and down via filestream)

Where do you think gets file stream data stored, before you can access it? In a cache folder on your local drive!

What about a thought experiment? If CloudDrive would allow you to put the cache on a file stream drive or any other cloud-based file system (and there are good reasons, why it does not), what would happen with one chunk of data from the CloudDrive you want to read? That chunk needs to be downloaded from the CloudDrive and put into the CloudDrive cache, which we now assume to be located on the FS drive. Therefore, it first would get downloaded and stored into the local FS cache, from where it then would get uploaded to the FS cloud (Google Drive). Finally, two network flows (cloud -> local -> cloud) instead of one.

8 hours ago, Viktor said:

Where do you think gets file stream data stored, before you can access it? In a cache folder on your local drive!

What about a thought experiment? If CloudDrive would allow you to put the cache on a file stream drive or any other cloud-based file system (and there are good reasons, why it does not), what would happen with one chunk of data from the CloudDrive you want to read? That chunk needs to be downloaded from the CloudDrive and put into the CloudDrive cache, which we now assume to be located on the FS drive. Therefore, it first would get downloaded and stored into the local FS cache, from where it then would get uploaded to the FS cloud (Google Drive). Finally, two network flows (cloud -> local -> cloud) instead of one.

While in theory you are correct in that it adds an extra step in the process, the speeds that Stablebit is able to obtain is much less than what google's official Filestream solution can do. 

How about a thought experiment? If you were to release a software for your own cloud platform, would you optimize it for API users or your own product where you can see what files and patterns your users are performing. After all - Google is an advertising company and more information the better. Additionally, having speeds of 150-200mbps on a good day for clouddrive is much much less than the 1gbps + that filestream can do. That means that regardless of the amount of jumps, Filestream is much faster. At 200mbps (giving clouddrive the best chance) a 5gig file takes 03:34. At 1gbps it takes 00:42. To transfer a 5gb file at 120MB per second, it takes 0.66 minutes. That is about 1.3 minutes total time - Almost half the time.

It seems that you are looking for an encryption solution on top of Google’s CBFS (which does not support encryption by itself). That’s not what StableBit CloudDrive is designed for. But perhaps other cloud encryption solutions (like Cryptomator) meet your requirements and work with Google Drive File Stream.

3 minutes ago, Viktor said:

It seems that you are looking for an encryption solution on top of Google’s CBFS (which does not support encryption by itself). That’s not what StableBit CloudDrive is designed for. But perhaps other cloud encryption solutions (like Cryptomator) meet your requirements and work with Google Drive File Stream.

That is exactly what I am looking to do. I looked into Cryptomator and while it seems like a good solution, unfortunately it has a limitation of max 4gb file limitation in Windows with no chunk type system in place. Clearly Stablebit Cloud Drive is the superior software, its the limitations by Google which is causing the issues. Stablebit Cloud Drive would be amazing with this system as it would split the files, have verification of the files, and would run much faster. I can't test it because of the software restriction (for good reason in other cases).

9 hours ago, chcguy88 said:

I don't know what changed recently, but speeds are much better with the latest 1.1.0.1051 update. (I just got the update the other day).

Hard to know since root cause was never really established.  Could have been something as simple as Internet routing changing (i.e. to replace a bad hop's hardware), or Alex could have altered Clouddrive.  Good to hear though.