Not optimal file distribution problem

zizka

Question

Hi, I am evaluating the drivepool an I've encountered a weird problem. I have a pool consistion of three disks - 1TB, and two 2TB. The pool is 5TB with about 2.5TB free space. There are several folders with duplication to 2 or 3 drives. When I want to write to the duplicated folder, the system tells me that there is not enough space in the pool even though the system shows 2.5TB free space. So I opened the server disks and I see that one of the 2TB disks is full - so possibly the drivepools writes the unduplicated data to only that disk. The balancing setting should be default, I do not see any reason why the diskppol should act like this as this is unwanted behaviour. Well so I tried to do re-balancing. I've set the balancing options to "balance immediately". Then in the dashboard when there is the horizontal bar which says "file distribution not optimal" I've executed "re-balance" from the dropdown menu. I've done it already yesterday, but the only result was that it showed "building bucket lists" for some time and after some time it stopped with no visible result. What could be wrong? Is there any application log where can be noted any error? In the windows log there is no error...

2 answers to this question

First, what OS are you using and what version of DrivePool are you using?

Also, do you have any additional balancers installed?

Also, could you upload the log files from DrivePool?

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_2.x_Log_Collection

Don't do the "enable tracing" bit, just upload the files. (there is a widget at the bottom of the page, where only Alex and I can see/access the logs).

Hi, I've uploaded the log, I've done it with the enabling of tracing as I did it before I read your post. The system is Windows Server 2012 running as Hyper-V guest. The DrivePool version is 2.0.0.420. There are only these plugins installed: StableBit Scanner, Volume Equalization, File Placement Limiter, Prevent Drive Overfill and Duplication Space Optimizer.