Pooling Cloud Drives limits usable space to ~45%

Andy2

Question

I use CloudDrive as part of my backup solution, and want to expand that to using multiple cloud services for redundant backups.

To do this, I created three 2GB ReFS Cloud Drives (maximum that any one service I have supports) and then pooled them together with DrivePool, setting duplication to 3.

The issue I am running into is that I can only store ~900MB of data (~45% of the total capacity) on this pool as the remaining 55% is filled with "other" data.

I know that 2GB is not a lot of storage to begin with, but it's sufficient to store everything that I need, while 900MB is not.

I understand that there are file system overheads, but if I mount the drives individually, I'm still only seeing ~900MB disk space used on each drive.

Is there anything which can be done about this?

3 answers to this question

18 hours ago, Andy2 said:

I created three 2GB ReFS Cloud Drives

2GB or 2TB? Or? 

If it's 2GB, then yeah ... there is a bunch of file system data, as well as data structures that are stored on the drive.

I'm not sure there is a good solution here, other than to reformat the drive as exFAT maybe? 

Yes, it's only 2GB since I'm using multiple free accounts as another redundant backup for some important documents.

I thought it must be file system overheads, though Windows doesn't report it (still reported having lots of free space on each disk), and the amount seemed excessive - as though duplication may not have been working correctly with ReFS formatted drives.

DrivePool doesn't appear to support exFAT; the disks are not listed when formatted using it.

Having formatted the disks as NTFS and copied the same data to the new pool, the overhead only appears to be 80MB now rather than 1.1GB.