WHS 2011 to Win 10 home server migration and drive pool

Rec0n

Question

Hi team,

I have just had another let down with my WHS 2011 HP Proliant home server and am over it. I of course run DrivePool on the box but now that the OS SSD is failing to boot I want to know if I can install Windows 10 Pro as the OS and then recover all of my drive pool data?

My plan would be to disconnect all of the data pool HDD (x 4), install Windows 10 Pro to the OS SSD and then install Drive Pool (assuming that the version for WHS that I purchased will also allow me to use it on Win 10) and then hopefully reconnect all of my data HDDs, reboot and watch the magic happen as DP rebuilds my stuff....Am I dreaming?

Has anyone migrated their OS to Win 10 and used DP to reassemble and retain their data pool?

I also plan to use VEEAM Endpoint Backup to cover my client computer backup tasks - if you have feedback for that I would value it.

TIA for your input, cheers

11 answers to this question

That should work just fine.  DrivePool isn't reliant on the OS version.  As long as it sees the hidden PoolPart folders on connected drives at boot/startup, it'll remount the pool without issue.

Be sure to contact CoveCube support and ask them to deactivate the license you had issued DrivePool on that computer, or you won't be able to re-activate using it.

I haven't used Veeam (yet), though I evaluated it last week after reading more positive comments elsewhere on it.  I'm currently using Macrium Reflect, which (for servers) has a rather heavy expense associated.  I'll probably end up using Veeam on my new WSE 2016 server upgrade.

6 hours ago, Rec0n said:

I have just had another let down with my WHS 2011 HP Proliant home server and am over it. I of course run DrivePool on the box but now that the OS SSD is failing to boot I want to know if I can install Windows 10 Pro as the OS and then recover all of my drive pool data?

Well, I'm sorry to hear that! 

But yes, you can do that, just fine!   Once the OS, the drives, and StableBit DrivePool are installed, it will see the pooled disks and automatically recreate the pool. 

6 hours ago, Rec0n said:

My plan would be to disconnect all of the data pool HDD (x 4), install Windows 10 Pro to the OS SSD and then install Drive Pool (assuming that the version for WHS that I purchased will also allow me to use it on Win 10) and then hopefully reconnect all of my data HDDs, reboot and watch the magic happen as DP rebuilds my stuff....Am I dreaming?

That's exactly right.   And no, you're not dreaming, but we hope that you find the process dreamlike! :)

6 hours ago, Rec0n said:

Has anyone migrated their OS to Win 10 and used DP to reassemble and retain their data pool?

We've had plenty of people do similar.  Heck, I do something similar with some testing disks. :)

6 hours ago, Rec0n said:

I also plan to use VEEAM Endpoint Backup to cover my client computer backup tasks - if you have feedback for that I would value it.

I've played with it a few years ago.  Seems pretty good.  Should work well. 

Thanks a lot guys. I think I made a great choice with this drive pool product in that case!

i really appreciate the quick and positive replies. I think I just needed to see it con firmed so I didn’t have to worry about it all until I had time to arrange what I needed. The thought of losing my server data made me feel sick so your posts have lifted me for the day!

i will report back my success when I am done and look forward to seeing my files again...

1 hour ago, Rec0n said:

Thanks a lot guys. I think I made a great choice with this drive pool product in that case!

i really appreciate the quick and positive replies.

You did indeed - DrivePool is the cat's meow.

Glad to help - let us know how it goes.

OK, SSD installed and OS load - Windows 10 Pro this time - and Windows update is running hard......I have put in my support request for deactivation so I should be good to go for a weekend of setups and fun!

22 hours ago, Rec0n said:

i really appreciate the quick and positive replies. I think I just needed to see it con firmed so I didn’t have to worry about it all until I had time to arrange what I needed. The thought of losing my server data made me feel sick so your posts have lifted me for the day!

I totally understand. The idea of losing your data ... is not pleasant, to say the least! 

But you shouldn't have anything to worry about! 

8 hours ago, Rec0n said:

OK, SSD installed and OS load - Windows 10 Pro this time - and Windows update is running hard......I have put in my support request for deactivation so I should be good to go for a weekend of setups and fun!

I believe I've already responded to that ticket, so you should be good to go! 

Otherwise, you can always activate the trial license! 

1 hour ago, Christopher (Drashna) said:

I totally understand. The idea of losing your data ... is not pleasant, to say the least! 

But you shouldn't have anything to worry about! 

I believe I've already responded to that ticket, so you should be good to go! 

Otherwise, you can always activate the trial license! 

You have done exceptionally well and I really appreciate it. The measure of an IT choice imo is how well your product is supported, and there are none better than you and the team Christopher. Thank you for making me feel valued!!

Steve

Now I have a couple of follow ups that I reckon someone will spot pretty fast!

Coming from WHS2011, my server folder structure was looking like this below. The main folder in use was the ServerFolders on which had all of my seperate locations as well as the client backup files.

image.png.fb68d6066678ac18926359fbe3bd3d42.png

image.png.3f76265cc8a5c8f36afbeb5a3031ceca.png

My issue is, when I try to map the folders as separate locations with their own drive letter again, they are setup differently. It used to be just (\\MYSERVER\FOLDER1), but now when I map them they are (\\MYSERVER\ServerFolders\FOLDER1)

Firstly, I now needed to go into each individual folder and share it so I could map to it. I shared the main ServerFolders to all users but it didn't propagate down to the folders within.

Second, can I get rid of the extra folders in the top folder structure and just create new 'user' folders in the root of the Drive Pool I have?

Obviously I don't want to damage the files at all but I am assuming the pooled drive is going to allow me to just move whatever I want within it with no issues - just a bit nervous because I haven't actually created a new drive pool in the new Win10 environment to be able to see what it should look like.

#seeking encouragement! :)

edit:.....good grief...I just got to page 457 of the WGS Windows 10 home server book where it starts talking about DrivePool in detail as the better option. My questions have been answered I believe.
If anyone has anything to add, feel free, but I can safely create my own top level folders and map to them individually if I need to .... :)

edited edit: my original mapped drives now work as they did before (I named my server the same as it was) and all I had to do was login again once. Much happiness..

5 hours ago, Rec0n said:

st got to page 457 of the WGS Windows 10 home server book where it starts talking about DrivePool in detail as the better option. My questions have been answered I believe.
If anyone has anything to add, feel free, but I can safely create my own top level folders and map to them individually if I need to .... :)

Yep, top level are no problem.  DP passes volume commands to the underlying drives, so operations are as "compliant" as possible.

And..  that's rather humorous.  :D 

:angry:

Much sadness.....for some reason my OS SSD will not boot now. It is not even recognised as a boot drive. Stoopid HP ProLiant microserver perhaps, but either way I have some diagnostics to do. It boots to my test mechanic HDD just fine. Strange...

On a positive note, my DP files on my data HDDs are just fine. All I need is a platform that will boot and I will be back in business. I tell you, it is awesome knowing that my data is safe and accessible.

edit: Tried everything I could think of and got to the stage where a Windows 10 repair install was next. Plugged in the bootable USB stick and the damned thing booted properly! I swear I am going to shift to Linux for this box!! It is driving me nuts. (not really because then I wont have DP....) So frustrating.