How long are damage errors present in launchpads warning display?

HomeServerAdmin

Question

Hi Guys,

this week i got my first damage error via launchpad notification from my system SSD (Kingston 60GB).
There were not much free space on it since months, so i was planning to swap it with a bigger one (WD 240GB) in any case.
After file scan there was only one file damaged, which was not important, so i deleted it, run chkdsk /f on it and clone the whole partitions to a newer bigger SSD.
Actually everything is working fine but the damage message is still present in launchpad's notification window and the old kingston drive is unplugged lying in the cubboard.

I know from other launchpad messages that there are some error mesages which will not be reset immediatelly and are shown for days after the reason is already solved/gone.

How long are damage error(s) present in launchpads warning display/window?

Version-Info:
Scanner  v2.5.3.3191

dashboard-scanner.PNG

launchpad-notification.PNG

9 answers to this question

What do you mean by "remove"?

The only possible actions within the launchpad notification window are:
- "Warnung ignorieren" (ignore warning),
- "Dashboard öffnen" (open dashboard).

Are you sure, that newer "Sector unreadable on disk" messages (from other disks) will pop-up as an error again in the future, when i press "ignore warning" now?

As you see in my screenshots. The first entry from the list ("Die Option "Ergänzende Informationen aus de...") was a message which i "ignored" by selecting it via the given options mentioned some lines above. This message is still present, but not marked als error. What i don't want/need is that the scanner reports a damage on a other disk in the future, but nobody recognises it, because the warning message is (still) ignored.

As far as i know (from other notifications, e.g. "free disk space low on client computer XYZ") the error messages disappear itself after some amount of time (if the cause/reason is fixed). The message from Stablebit scanner is from 11th of July. We have 16th of July right now and the disk is already dismounted (not present at server).

Does StableBit Scanner still have the warning? (eg, still have the unreadable sectors)

If so, then you'd need to clear that in StableBit Scanner first.  
Otherwise, you should have an option to delete the notification in dhe dashboard. 

If not, then did you have these errors before upgrading? 

Hi

On 7/17/2018 at 11:30 PM, Christopher (Drashna) said:

Does StableBit Scanner still have the warning? (eg, still have the unreadable sectors)

No, the scanner itself is fine (standalone or in the dashboard tab doesn't matter).

Only the error within the dahboard/launchpad notification window is still present (as shown in the screenshots above).

Otherwise, you should have an option to delete the notification in dhe dashboard.

No, there is no option to delete, only "ignore warning" like in the launchpads notification window.

My concern is that, all other "sector unreadable on disk" errors in the future will not pop-up, because i have ignored this warning.

That is my initial fear/question.

If not, then did you have these errors before upgrading?

No, but this is my first "sector unreadable on disk" error ever.

Thanx for your help.

scanner-error.PNG

Not an answer, but I have almost the same issue.

Stablebit Scanner found 8 unreadable sectors a few days before the disk in question failed completely. I was able to move the important data off and duplication saved the rest.

When I tried to Remove the disk from Stablebit Drivepool, I got an error since it was no longer able to read the disk reliably. I unfortunately had to just remove the disk physically; I realize this is not optimal, but I had no choice in this matter.

Now I have a 'Sector unreadable on disk' error message in the Dashboard that won't go away, even though the disk is long gone. Whenever I try to delete it in the Dashboard, it works on it for hours and gets nowhere (I have to cancel). And Server Essentials Computer Backup service will no longer start, meaning that no client backups can occur (the guidance says to resolve all alerts related to Server Storage).

Is there a method to MANUALLY get rid of this Scanner-generated error so I can resume fixing the damage to my server?

In WHS at least you can ignore the warning. Sometimes it remains but greyed out, althoug a reboot tends to help. Mostly, they disappear.  I have never encountered _new_ warning not to occur because I selected to ignore the notification (but then, how would I as it is hard to experience something that does not occur...things not known).

For instance, if I insert a new HDD I get a notification that I can either use it as storage or as a backup disk. When I ignore the warning it disappears but a new one will pop-up when I insert another HDD.

Hi Christopher,

i was off a while (for holidays).

The warning is now gone. Unfortunatelly i did not put an eye on the server message window before upgrading to v2.5.4.3216 :angry:

The update notification message just popped up an pressed the button to install. So i can not say for sure, whether the message disappears itself or by updating the scanner. Sorry for that.

Is it still neccessary to open a ticket? ... actually not (from my side).