I/O Error

Jose M Filion

Question

19 answers to this question

You might try clearing your DNS cache and rebooting, then checking CloudDrive again.

Have you run any reliability tests on your new internet line, to make sure packets aren't getting dropped?  I use PingPlotter free over a several hour period to check for packet loss, spikes, etc.

Have you tried accessing your Google Drive via the desktop software, to make sure everything looks/works okay?

If you clear the errors in CloudDrive, do they continue to add up over time?

I don't have CloudDrive installed at the moment, so I don't know if it's possible to clear the cache (in case of dirty data).  You can try reducing it to it's smallest setting to help flush it, then after it's communicating a little while, increase it back to it's previous size.

If none of that works -> see Christopher or Alex.  :D

I'm seeing a number of throttling issues here, but I'm also seeing a bunch of :
CloudDrive.Service.exe    Warning    0    [IoManager:57] Error performing Write I/O operation on provider. Retrying. The remote name could not be resolved: 'www.googleapis.com'    2018-07-08 14:22:51Z    220418363743

This would indicate connectivity issues (eg, internet or server side issues) 

You can always try using a different DNS resolution provider.  I used Google's (8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4) for a long time, but recently switch to Cloudflare's (1.1.1.1, 1.0.0.1).

But yeah, that's one reason I suspected dirty DNS caching on the PC.

On 7/11/2018 at 8:22 PM, Jose M Filion said:

so what should I do then? is it a google drive thing? thank you for the support 

Yes.  The "googleapis.com" url is where we get and send data.  If that's not accessible, then neither is the data.

Sometimes this happens temporarily, so retrying may fix the issue. 

And feel free to use the new release (1.1.0.1038). :)

Suggestion:  pick up a copy of PingPlotter, enter in googleapis.com, set it for 5 or 10 second resolution, then run it.  You get 14 days on the Standard/Pro edition to collect unlimited samples, and can switch to the free edition after that.  See what kind of reliability you get over 24/48 hours, and what kind of pings you get on each hop.  It might indicate any problems along the route, or if your connection drops out entirely.  Attached a sample plot on my VPN connection to this post so you can see the kind of info you get from it.

You can always just run a ping test from a command prompt, but lose detail on each hop that way.

I used this method when proving to my ISP that there were connection issues.  It helped me to successfully get the FCC involved and force the ISP to fix their hardware.

Edit:  I left mine running a little while after making this post, and the IP resolution changed on-the-fly.  That's DNS and/or Google doing it, not me.  Really nice info you can get on packets and hops this way.

Plot1.png

So I changed my DNS to google and I updated to the latest version (beta) and now it's more stable I just get these messages now, but it's more stable.  I'm going to try out your suggestion @jaga , I think it's xfinity, since I switched from at&t  this started happening so It has to be the ISP, but other suggestions def. have helped it become more stable.  Thank you guys for the support! 

Untitled-1.thumb.jpg.5bc9192f58115aa5a6d3c357815b933f.jpg

17 hours ago, joebeem11 said:

I have encountered the googleapi.com issue in the past and it ended up being my ISP performing maintenance over a weekend. Not saying its the same problem as yours, but might be worth checking if something is going on with the ISP.  

That's the worst. :(

Been there too many times to count. 

51 minutes ago, Jose M Filion said:

So I changed my DNS to google and I updated to the latest version (beta) and now it's more stable I just get these messages now, but it's more stable.  I'm going to try out your suggestion @jaga , I think it's xfinity, since I switched from at&t  this started happening so It has to be the ISP, but other suggestions def. have helped it become more stable.  Thank you guys for the support! 

Glad to hear it! 

And if you're getting the warnings, then you're having some sort of latency/connectivity issue, and it MAY be worth calling up your ISP and seeing if there is a signal noise issue they can resolve. 

3 hours ago, Jose M Filion said:

Awesome, keep at it - make them give you what you pay for.  Comcast (Xfinity) can be *very* hit and miss, depending on your geographical location.  They are my ISP too, and as mentioned I had to involve the FCC with concrete data supporting the fact the old line I had was crap.  If you have telephone service from them and have issues with it as well, they are obligated by law to respond within 24 hours, due to 911 exposure.

Good luck with it, and let us know how it goes.

Just wanted to give an update for those who have problems with xfinity new 1gb line - I basically had them come out  showed them how the line was going in and out with the pingplotter and they rewired everything and they changed out the modem once they did that everything has stabilized and  been working great - thank you for all your help guys! long live stablebit drive! lol 

3 hours ago, Jose M Filion said:

Just wanted to give an update for those who have problems with xfinity new 1gb line - I basically had them come out  showed them how the line was going in and out with the pingplotter and they rewired everything and they changed out the modem once they did that everything has stabilized and  been working great - thank you for all your help guys! long live stablebit drive! lol 

Awesome, glad to hear it Jose.

7 hours ago, Jose M Filion said:

Glad to hear it! 

And yeah, weird networking issues can be a royal PITA.