Duplication Warnings / Duplication Disabled

Fenwick

Question

Hi, I have duplication disabled under Pool file duplication, but I still see duplicated content taking up space. Also, this screenshot shows the folder duplication is not disabled... it says 'inherit'. I'm not sure whether or not that means Enabled or Disabled?.

Clicking on the 'change duplication' button doesn't seem to do anything.

Untitled.png

8 answers to this question

You'll want to check out this: 

That said, if you're using a lot of reparse points on the pool, then this may be used in the metadata folder on the pool.  

Also, you can run: 

dpcmd set-duplication-recursive P:\ 1 *

And that should forcibly set the duplication level to "unduplicated". 

57 minutes ago, Umfriend said:

No other folders within T:\ that show a x1+? If there is/are, then you may need to expand some more until you found them.

That works too.  But..  

9 hours ago, Christopher (Drashna) said:

That works better.  No chance of missing a folder or file on a drive accidentally, and it's *way* faster.

23 hours ago, Umfriend said:

Doesn;t the x1+ in the screenshot for the Folder Duplication window (to the right of the OP) show that there is at least one folders for which duplication is set? Simply expand the DrivePool folder and check which folder is the culprit, no?

21 hours ago, Fenwick said:

Only a folder called METADATA is marked as duplicated.

So then, it's the StableBit DrivePool metadata that is duplicated then.  This ... is standard, and it's hard coded to x3 duplication, actually.

We don't store a lot of information in this folder. But reparse point info IS stored here (junctions, symblinks, etc).  So if you're using a lot of them on the pool, then that would by whey you're seeing this behavior.  And in this case, you don't want to mess with this folder. 

On 7/10/2018 at 4:56 PM, Christopher (Drashna) said:

You'll want to check out this: 

That said, if you're using a lot of reparse points on the pool, then this may be used in the metadata folder on the pool.  

Also, you can run: 

And that should forcibly set the duplication level to "unduplicated". 

I do use a minimal amount of symlinks.  I have some duplicated data showing and its definitely the metadata folder which is listed as x3.  To make that a "not" thing I assume my options are run that dpcmd command you indicated which will probably smoke symlink functionality, remove the symlinks, or deal with it showing duplicated data?  would be cool to be able to audit/explore/go to the duplicated data in the gui or by opening another window :P