M.2 Drives - No Smart data - NVME and Sata

Spider99

With the latest Scanner update i was looking forward to seeing SMART data for my NVME drives and my M.2 Sata card - but no luck

Both NVME drives are Samsung 950Pro's the Sata is a WD Blue 1TB M.2 drive

The 950's have no SMART/NVME details option in the UI only Disk details, Disk Control, Disk Settings and NO temp data

The WD has Smart details but has virtually no info but does show temp data in the main UI

Capture1a.thumb.JPG.be1f128bd30853a90e10793213391b07.JPG

Both Samsung Magician and CrystalDiskInfo see all three drives and can read the Smart data/temp data

This is on 2012r2 and Scanner 3190

For Info - on my win10 machine Scanner 3190 can read a 950 Pro's Smart Data fine

Any suggestions?

Just because it's M.2 doesn't mean that it's NVMe, unfortunately. And it sounds like that's the case with the WD drive. It's probably running on AHCI still. 

Looking at BitFlock, yeah, the WDC WDS100T2B0B-00YS70 drive (your WDC shows up as SATA, which means it's using AHCI, not NVMe. 
if you could use the DirectIO Test tool to see if it gets any SMART data from any of the methods? 

And yeah, it's SATA, not NVMe. :(
https://www.wdc.com/products/internal-ssd/wd-blue-3d-nand-sata-ssd.html#WDS250G2B0B

But yeah, the Samsungs just aren't getting NVMe health info (not SMART).  Not sure why

Ah, they are NVMe 1.1, not 1.3 (which is what we support.  

https://www.samsung.com/uk/memory-storage/950-pro-nvme-m-2-ssd/MZ-V5P512BW/#specs

I've flagged the issues regardless:
https://stablebit.com/Admin/IssueAnalysis/27872

Chris

I think you miss read my post

"Just because it's M.2 doesn't mean that it's NVMe, unfortunately. And it sounds like that's the case with the WD drive. It's probably running on AHCI still. "

Thats why i stated its a SATA drive and as an ACHI device should be readable for SMART - never said the WD was a NVME drive.

"Ah, they are NVMe 1.1, not 1.3 (which is what we support. "

Well you do support 1.1 or the 950 on my win 10 machine would not show NVME Health info etc data as i posted

So why does it work on one machine and not the other for the 950's?

Sorry, I missed that.  It's been super hot here, and I don't deal well with the heat.  I'll try to make sure I'm better.

Also, I did pass this information on to Alex.  The NVMe 1.1 may or may not be the issue.  Eg, we may want/need to implement it as well, or it may be a red herring. 

As for the SATA based one, if you use the DirectIO Test tool, see if any of those actually get the SMART Attributes for the drive:

Okay, the NVMe spec is a red herring.  It supports "up to" 1.3 (and 1.4, actually).  So it should be getting the info.

Alex is updating our tools to work with NVMe, and so that the StableBit Troubleshooter will actually run it's own version of the DirectIO Test and log that information, as well. 

This way, we can get to the bottom of this issue and get it working. 

I will update you when I have more information for you.

On 7/8/2018 at 4:01 PM, Spider99 said:

With the latest Scanner update i was looking forward to seeing SMART data for my NVME drives and my M.2 Sata card - but no luck

Both NVME drives are Samsung 950Pro's the Sata is a WD Blue 1TB M.2 drive

The 950's have no SMART/NVME details option in the UI only Disk details, Disk Control, Disk Settings and NO temp data

The WD has Smart details but has virtually no info but does show temp data in the main UI

Capture1a.thumb.JPG.be1f128bd30853a90e10793213391b07.JPG

Both Samsung Magician and CrystalDiskInfo see all three drives and can read the Smart data/temp data

This is on 2012r2 and Scanner 3190

For Info - on my win10 machine Scanner 3190 can read a 950 Pro's Smart Data fine

Any suggestions?

As per your issue, I've obtained a similar WD M.2 drive and did some testing with it. Starting with build 3193 StableBit Scanner should be able to get SMART data from your M.2 WD SATA drive. I've also added SMART interpretation rules to BitFlock for these drives as well.

You can get the latest development BETAs here: http://dl.covecube.com/ScannerWindows/beta/download/

As for Windows Server 2012 R2 and NVMe, currently, NVMe support in the StableBit Scanner requires Windows 10 or Windows Server 2016.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the work on the WD M.2 SSD drive

Just updates to 3209 Beta and the smart data is appearing as expected

Is the NVMe support for 2012r2 ever likely to appear? or is it an OS issue?

Samsung magician can see the drive fine and the drives are using the samsung driver rather than the MS one

It's an OS issue.

Only the Windows 10 and Server 2016 driver actually supports the NVMe health specs. 

Microsoft could port it to the older products, but ... it's pretty safe to say that they have no plans to. 

As for Samsung Magician, it's using proprietary commands to access the information.  We avoid uses these, because they are not documented, and "bad things can happen". 

• 1 month later...

So I am running Scanner 2.5.4.3216 on my lappy for a trial (Just want to check some older HDDs). It runs Windows 10 and has an NVMe Samsung SSD 950 Pro. Scanner tells me "The NVMe health check is not accesible." - But shouldn't it?

Ran Direct I/O (1.0.6764.36111, which was flagged as potentially unsafe by AVG BTW). I have checks with Identify and SSD but all other stuff is red crosses...

19 hours ago, Umfriend said:

So I am running Scanner 2.5.4.3216 on my lappy for a trial (Just want to check some older HDDs). It runs Windows 10 and has an NVMe Samsung SSD 950 Pro. Scanner tells me "The NVMe health check is not accesible." - But shouldn't it?

Ran Direct I/O (1.0.6764.36111, which was flagged as potentially unsafe by AVG BTW). I have checks with Identify and SSD but all other stuff is red crosses...

Is the controller the drive is running on in ATA mode, or AHCI?

13 hours ago, Umfriend said:

ACHI.

Then that's not the problem either.  Going to guess older chipset on the lappy may be causing the issue.  If you run Samsung Magician and click on the blue "S.M.A.R.T." button, can it get you the information successfully?

What @Spider99 suggested with the Samsung driver might also help.

Yes, Magician shows SMART. It's an i7-6700HQ so the chipset can't be that old. 100/C230 chipset.

About the driver, Device Manager shows the device both under "Disk drives" as under Storage controllers. In the former, it uses an MS driver and I found no way to change that. The other uses the Samsung driver.

2 hours ago, Christopher (Drashna) said:

Check the Disk Details.  If it shows AHCI there, then that's ... the issue.  It needs to show up as NVMe. 

Didn't think a NVMe drive running on a controller in AHCI mode would block/dishonor SMART calls - you'd think legacy compatibility would kick in at the very least.  Time to do some more reading.

11 hours ago, Christopher (Drashna) said:

Check the Disk Details.  If it shows AHCI there, then that's ... the issue.  It needs to show up as NVMe. 

And Samsung Magician uses proprietary commands to get the info from the drive, in this case. 

Well, a reboot seems to have fixed it. But where in the Disk Details should I look? Protocol? It says NVWe v1.0 or v1.1.

20 hours ago, Jaga said:

Didn't think a NVMe drive running on a controller in AHCI mode would block/dishonor SMART calls - you'd think legacy compatibility would kick in at the very least.  Time to do some more reading.

Nope, different protocol.  But trust me when I say that NVMe health is FAR superior to SMART. 

10 hours ago, Umfriend said:

Well, a reboot seems to have fixed it. But where in the Disk Details should I look? Protocol? It says NVWe v1.0 or v1.1.

Awesome. 

As for protocol: 
http://blog.covecube.com/2018/05/stablebit-scanner-2-5-2-3175-beta/

That has a picture of it.