Stablebit Thumbnails

PetabytesPlease

Question

8 answers to this question

Sounds like you might need to rebuild the Windows thumbnail cache.  It's a good thing to do periodically even if you aren't having problems.  You didn't say what OS you are on, so I'm assuming it's W10.  Here are some instructions for doing both the thumbnail cache, and icon cache.

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/rebuild-icon-clear-thumbnail-cache-windows-10

Separately, I use a shell extension called Icaros, which gives Explorer better control and caching options for thumbnails (including indexing of specified folders).  If you've cleared your cache and Windows still isn't displaying them properly, you might give it a try.

Edited by Jaga
Added official link for Icaros

Sorry forgot to say that i use Windows 7

I have rebuilt, the windows thumbnail and icon cache multiple times as in deleted the "thumbnail cache" option in disk clean up

Note that i actually used this trick to stop the cache from auto deleting and rebuilding when you have a lot of thumbs but i completed delted these modifications and still no help

I will leave some pictures on my SSD to see if the issue is native to the pooled drives now

Unfortunately, I don't think that there is a good solution here.

I suspect that the issue is that it's reading the thumbs.db file from each folder, and ... it's indexing each disk and generating them in those folders. So the content may not be the same from disk to disk.  And that is causing the issue. 

But this is one of those things that it is very hard to reproduce. 

The simplest option may be to turn off thumbnail generation. 

Otherwise, are you able to trigger the behavior specifically, or does it just happen randomly? 

Windows 7 shouldn't be natively creating the thumbs.db files though.  The last Windows OS to do that and rely on them was Windows XP.  A bunch of helpful information on thumbnails in Windows is here:  https://www.ghacks.net/2014/03/12/thumbnail-cache-files-windows/  Starting with Vista, they were moved to a central location for Windows management:  %userprofile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer\thumbcache_xxx.db

If they are being re-created on your system PetaBytes, I'm not sure why.  I triple-checked my Windows 7 Ultimate x64 media server, and none of the movie/picture folders have the files in them (visible OR hidden).

This procedure (and a reboot after) might help your issue:  https://www.sitepoint.com/switch-off-thumbs-db-in-windows/

I still maintain a 3rd party utility like Icaros will help the most.  What it does (in a nutshell) is maintain it's own cache of thumbnails, so that *if* Windows loses them for a folder, Icaros will supply them back to Windows instead of it having to re-generate them slowly.

Firstly apologizes for bumping an "old" thread" but i have had other things to sort out

To confirm, only on my pooled drives the thumbnails for my videos, pictures etc always get re-created, but the cache file is still there. I used this trick to disable windows from deleting and starting the cache from scratch which it does when it gets too big https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/177357-thumbnail-cache-prevent-windows-deleting.html

https://www.sitepoint.com/switch-off-thumbs-db-in-windows/  - This link appears to turn off thumbnail creation, thus i would not have any thumbnails for all my pictures and videos... The whole point of the thread was to allow me to have thumbnails cached and not have to continuously re-create them

To confirm this only occurs with pooled drives so the issue clearly lies with stable bit, i should not have to get third party tools to resolve the "issue" with your software

The software Icaros does not seem to do picture thumbnails but only videos which again does not  fit my needs

4 hours ago, PetabytesPlease said:

The software Icaros does not seem to do picture thumbnails but only videos which again does not  fit my needs

Sure it will.  You have to change the Thumbnailing Preset in Icaros to "Most Known".  It will then include images and so on.  You can even add your own file types to that list, provided it supports them (or the OS does).

4 hours ago, PetabytesPlease said:

To confirm this only occurs with pooled drives so the issue clearly lies with stable bit, i should not have to get third party tools to resolve the "issue" with your software

I think if it was an issue with Drivepool, everyone would see it and report it.  But I'll step back from the question now and let higher powers handle it.