Split incoming data on multiple sized SSDs equally

The_Saver

Question

Hello,

Does anyone know if it is possible to split incoming data on multiple sized SSDs equally?

I have an SSD with 128 GB and 256 GB and only the 256GB gets used until it is above half full where the 128 GB gets used (the disk with the absolute most disk space gets used).

How can I change this to using the SSD that is being utilised the least in %?

6 answers to this question

That's ... normal behavior, since new files are placed on the drive with the most available free space. 

If the pool is just the SSDs, then you may want to download, install and enable the Disk Space Equalizer balancer plugin.  

Otherwise, once the 256GB drive is about 120GB free, then it should use both drives.

The pool uses the SSD optimser as it has 10 HDDs. So all new data will only be placed on the 256GB SSD with the 128 GB SSD not being used at all.

How can I make the SSDs be filled equally up to 128 GB, from which point the 128 GB SSD is filled up and only the 256 GB SSD will be used?

45 minutes ago, The_Saver said:

How can I make the SSDs be filled equally up to 128 GB, from which point the 128 GB SSD is filled up and only the 256 GB SSD will be used?

Combine them into a RAID 0 stripe.  Drivepool can't auto-balance multiple SSD optimizer plugin drives at once.  

1 minute ago, Jaga said:

Combine them into a RAID 0 stripe.  Drivepool can't auto-balance multiple SSD optimizer plugin drives at once.  

Would the inbuilt Storage Spaces on Windows suffice? I don't want slow performance and I prefer not to set up hardware RAID. Or do you have a third solution?

It should yes, since it can handle JBOD just fine.  I don't use the SSD Optimizer plugin, so don't know if it will honor the new virtual device as being a real "SSD" or not.  Christopher/Alex would have to comment on that.  Or you could simply test it out, see if Drivepool lets you add the new Storages Spaces volume as the SSD.

Edit:  (sidenote) RAID 0 stripes limit to the size of the smallest disk in the stripe, so you wouldn't gain anything doing hardware RAID.  Stick with software JBOD and try it out.