Dual Boot with Common Pool

Mathematics

Question

I'm not exactly sure if this is even possible, but is there a way to have a common pool show up on a single W7 and W10 computer. I have a computer with an ICY Dock bay, which I use to switch between W7 and W10 for software compatibility. I like the Drivepool setup configured on W7 and I'd like to use the same drive and data setup under W10 but apparently there doesn't seem to be a way to get Drivepool to recognize the W7 created pool under W10.

In fact, this raises a follow-up question. Is there a way to restore a previous pool on a standard non-WHS computer? For example, say I brought pooled hard drives from computer A and connected them to computer B. Is there a way to get B to adopt and maintain that foreign pool without having to create a new pool and move files from the previous pool folder? I read about a tool for this very thing but it seems as if that was for a WHS setup. This is not of great importance but I'd like to know what my limitations are so I can plan around them.

Sorry if I asked something that has been previously answered.

4 answers to this question

Usually when you connect pooled drives to a computer and then install Drivepool, it sees those hidden poolpart folders and automatically adds the Pool.  But you may need a separate copy of Drivepool for each OS, even on the same system.  Fortunately it's not expensive to get additional copies if you already own one.

The only thing you'd need to do after booting either OS, is have Drivepool re-measure so it has correct stats (you could even use the command line utility on boot to do it).  You'd also want to ensure both copies of DP had identical settings, to avoid unnecessary work on the drives.

If you have Drivepool installed on both platforms and aren't seeing the pool under both, try uninstalling the W10 copy and then reinstalling it.  It -should- automatically pick up the pool and mount it.

Q. What if I'm dual-booting, do I need additional licenses for each OS?
No, you can use the same license in multiple Operating Systems, as long as they're running on the same physical hardware. Note that this does not include virtual machines because they may emulate virtual hardware.

As for the pool itself, yes, it should be picked up automatically. 

If it's not, check Disk Management, and make sure that the drives aren't showing as "offline".

Also, on the system that is having issues, try resetting the settings, and see if that helps:
http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Q2299585B

You guys make it seems so easy. Lol. Ok, so here is something I happened to notice just testing one hard drive with a folder containing some random data, nothing important.

That drive is currently in a pool but then if I remove the drive from the pool, the poolpart remains on the drive along with any previous data in that folder. The folder is now unhidden. How do I revive that pool again? In other words, how do I "go back" without creating a new pool and having to move files? Is there some aspect of the folder structure that alerts DP that the pool has been abandoned or is no longer valid?