Error Removing Drive: Operation was canceled

jadik

Question

I am attempting to remove a drive from the pool, while running a fully updated Windows Server 2016 Standard installation and StableBit DrivePool v2.2.2.928. My active DrivePool consists of 22x8tb + 2x4tb drives.

The drive removal process begins as expected, but after clearing the drive to about 50% of full drive capacity, I am repeatedly presented with the following dialog:

"Error Removing Drive: The operation was canceled." 

image.png.cfccd1013ad43ed4fe5b8163e87ecb20.png

and: "Error Removing Drive: (0xC0000056) - A non close operation has been requested of a file object with a delete pending.

image.png.e94ac2b69ee5d989c5d3b5157ff4438f.png

(This error was returned when either or both the "Force" options were selected in the "Remove Options" dialog... and no items current exist in the Recycle Bin.)

Of course, the "Operation was canceled" dialog would be expected if I had actually canceled the operation. However, no such "cancel" action was manually taken.
Subsequently, DrivePool begins to "re-balance" content and restore the removed content. Restarting the service, and/or server, fail to rectify this issue.

In making multiple attempts to address this issue after reviewing log files, etc, various different "options" have been selected from the "Remove Options" dialog, including:

• No option selected
  • Force close any open unduplicated files on the drive being removed
  • Force damaged drive removal (unreadable files will be left on the disk)
  • BOTH Force damaged drive removal & Force close any open files

image.png.85f25dfca77dc217e9657296e9bcc06d.png

The drive has been checked for errors, and no errors have been found.

It would seem that removing a drive is an activity of critical importance, second only to adding a drive... so it is quite frustrating to encounter such an issue, especially on a basically virgin patched & updated Windows Server 2016 installation, dedicated explicitly to serving this pooled collection of drives.

Please advise. 

1 answer to this question

Reboot the system, and try again.

If that doesn't work, then enable file system logged, and reproduce:
http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_2.x_Log_Collection

Then run the StableBit Troubleshooter, and use 3674 as the contact request/ID.
http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_Troubleshooter