"Other" files using more space than actual space on pool with all VSS and system protection disabled for drives

jdrch

Question

Extremely strange case here: I have a pool consisting of a 500 GB and 250 GB HDD, with no duplication enabled on the pool and no shadow copy system protection on the drives. The Recycle Bin on the PC is empty.

I tried to transfer 381 GB of files to the pool from another PC on my LAN via File Explorer on the source PC. Both PCs are running Windows 10 April 2018 Update and both drives are NTFS, unencrypted, with compression. Transfer is occured via SMB. However, at 334 GB of transfer the pool fills up! I checked its status and saw a whopping 335 GB being used by "Other:" I've searched the forums here and found several possible causes, listed here with the results of my investigating them:

• Shadow copy system protection: this is disabled for both drives. It covers the C:\ partition only, which is on a different physical disk that is not part of the pool.
  • Locked files: can't find any evidence of this being the case.
  • Recycle Bin: empty on both PCs.

What's exceptionally maddening is there seems to be no way to access these "Other:" files at all. While DrivePool and File Explorer show disk usage accurately, I can't seem to find these "Other:" files anywhere else.

Here's the other absolutely insane part: I'm now trying to do the transfer using SyncBack Freeware from the source PC. This time, I'm watching the pool usage live in DrivePool. Yet, again, "Other:" files is filling up! I'm currently at 30.8 GB of "Other" and only 18.9 GB of actual data.

Does anyone have a clue what on Earth is going on here? The files I'm transferring should comfortably fit on the 500 GB drive, so there's no reason whatsoever why I should be running into this.

One theory I have is the temporary files the OS creates during copies but doesn't count towards drive capacity are being counted towards it when DrivePool is active.

Any ideas?

4 answers to this question

Try this version: http://dl.covecube.com/DrivePoolWindows/beta/download/StableBit.DrivePool_2.2.3.936_x64_BETA.exe

Also, check with a utility like WinDirStat, and check where the files actually are located on the underlying disks. 

If they're not in a PoolPart.xxxx folder, then that's the problem. 

Update: more insanity. I tried a smaller transfer the "Other:" duplication persisted after the transfer was complete, and even after remeasuring the pool.

EDIT:

Unduplicated; 4.62 GB

Other: 4.88 GB (Gotta be kidding me. How is Other more than the actual data being stored?)