Use the same disks for multiple pools

The_Saver

Question

I was wondering if it is possible to use the same disks for multiple pools?

This would be useful for different network drives/shares for different users with different permissions.

Right now it is possible to have a pool on a pool, but if the users check the hidden files, they can see the poolpart folder and access all the files of the parent pool.

Does my question make sense?

7 answers to this question

Yep, there are limitations with that method, but it would work.

With a drive partitioned into volumes like I suggested, you'd just have to over-provision space.  Or you could divide each disk's volumes like some storage/web providers do - a single disk consists of perhaps 2 large volumes, 4 medium volumes, and 8 small volumes.  That allows you to move a user around (upgrade or downgrade their storage) when they no longer fit their old volume.  The larger the physical disk you have to work with (i.e 12 TB) the more volumes and size options you could come up with.  And you could mix-and-match different size volumes from different disks to make a single user's pool, allowing some flexibility, provided you held some volumes in reserve for that purpose.

I was wondering if it is possible to use the same disks for multiple pools?

Nope. Sorry.  

And it's not something that we plan on adding.   In a large part because it makes duplication stuff super complicated (especially "unusable for duplication" and possibly free space calculations) 

It may be because I run DP on a server platform (WHS 2011), but I can control access rights for network users to specific folders that are in the pool. No way a user could view, let alone modify, data outside of those folders.

WHS2011 sets the networks share accounts to "Full control" for everyone, and then falls back to NTFS permissions for actual access rights.  :)

WHS2011 sets the networks share accounts to "Full control" for everyone, and then falls back to NTFS permissions for actual access rights.  :)

Not quite when you use the wizard. If you select to grant access to specific people, the default is no access at all. Not sure how you would create a shared folder otherwise.