Scanner runs within 1 minute after PC sleeps, waking it

lazyg408

Question

Hi, lately I've noticed my PC never goes to sleep. I think this maybe after updating from Win 10 1703 to the Fall Update and then to the April update (I did both in the same day).

If I put the PC to sleep, it wakes up about 30 seconds later. Troubleshooting indicates it's Stablebit Scanner waking it up to run scans on my disks. It does this at all hours even though it is only supposed to run 1-7 am, probably because "unless disk scans are past due by x days" is checked. The "oldest scanned block" on all disks is indeed outside that window, but it appears Scanner decides the disks don't need scanning. I've attached a recent log.

I've unchecked the "past due" box to see if it will resolve the issue for now.

Scanner.Service-2018-06-05.zip

13 answers to this question

Scanner also pings the SMART status of each drive on a short timer.  You will want to go into Settings, and to the S.M.A.R.T. tab to enable "Throttle queries".  It's your choice how long to set it, and you also have the option to limit queries to the work window (active disk scanning) only, or to not query the drive if it has spun down (sleep mode on the drive).

In your case, I would simply throttle queries to every 5-10 minutes, and enable "Only query during the work window or if scanning".  Then under the General tab set the hours it's allowed to access the drives to perform scans, and check "Wake up to scan".  It should limit drive activity and allow the machine to sleep normally.

And uncheck the "Wake up to Scan" option.

With a sleeping server, wouldn't you want to wake it up for the schedule to keep on track?  That's how I used to have mine set.  Otherwise it sleeps, and sleeps more, and keeps on sleeping...

So strange, it did end up sleeping during the day while I was away for a couple hours. I did not try the work windows scanner, so if you don't hear back from me, it was Jaga's suggestions that did the trick (maybe it was catching up on something after the first settings changes).

This is not an answer to the OP but a ME TOO reply.  I cannot find any REPLY button, so I had to hit ANSWER QUESTION.

Sorry to necro this thread, but I think it's appropriate.  I too have a server the is being constantly awoken (every minute) by the Scanner service as evidenced in the Windows Sleep Study log.

I have done EVERYTHING I can think of with my config to stop the Scanner service from doing this but nothing works.  This is wasting electrical energy.  All this server is supposed to do is wake up at 3AM and sync its local disc array with another server over the network.  Many times this means waking up and then going back to sleep 5 minutes later (as that is the power config sleep timeout and there is nothing to sync).

Running this server 24x7 costs $7/month in electricity.  With the sleep working correctly, it uses less than 50 cents.  I need this to work.  Now my last effort involved changing settings that I THOUGHT were going to make a difference (based on input in this thread), but in the end I am still experiencing the wake issue.

I went into the options and told the scanner only to poll SMART during the active work period, which was set to 1AM to 7AM.  Automatic scanning is enabled but none of the disks are due for a scan.  When I waited a bit after changing these settings the system DID sleep, but when I came back the next day it was awake again and the sleep study log shows the scanner service annoyingly keeping the computer awake every minute.

Also, perhaps related, perhaps not, is that when I come back to the computer after seeing it's awake I try to start the Scanner UI and I occasionally get a model dialog saying the UI is trying to connect but it counts up several seconds and then fails.  I try again and again until it eventually works.  I've never seen this before.

This is driving me up the wall.

I'm going to have to de-install the product if I can't get it work correctly.  I'm going to post my settings in a followup.  PLEASE TELL ME what the heck I am doing wrong.

So I turned off Automatic Scanning on SAT at about 3:20pm, even though nothing was due for a scan, then let the computer go to sleep.

By this morning, MON, the sever is on again, and the sleep study reveals that at 1am on SUN the computer woke up and went through repeated sleep/wake cycles due to the ScannerService executable presumably doing SMART queries.

There was no disk scanning to do, but since the potential scan period was 1am to 7am I suppose the SMART queries still ran.  But the setting says to do this only once every 30 minutes and the sleep study shows it waking the system, then running for a bit over 2 minutes, then sleeping for a minute, then running again, over and over.

So it looks like the SMART setting for "Throttle Queries" is not functioning correctly.  Also, I'm going to need to change it to once every day instead of every thirty minutes, since the goal is to keep the server sleeping the entire day except for 1 disk sync at 3AM and 1 scanner query at 1AM.

Capture.thumb.PNG.9c09f710ec03dc08276ec2ea7249c7b5.PNG

But me changing the "Throttle Queries" setting to 1440 isn't going to work until the service actually honors that setting...

Oh, wait, I think I know what's happening.  Maybe the service is indeed only doing a SMART query every 30 minutes, but because the active work period is 1am to 7am the service keeps the computer awake during this period, although for what reason I do not know - Automatic Scanning is disabled, so there's nothing to do, and even if it was enabled, nothing is due for a scan so there's still nothing to do.

It may just be that I can't use this product on a machine that's designed to sleep 99% of the day.  But if it's possible I'd sure like to know how.

The problem is that disk scanning and smart querying share the same work window and sleep setting.  I think in order to be more flexible the smart scanning needs its own window and sleep options.

At the moment, I will live with things as they are.  My system wakes up via a scheduled task at 1am.  The work window is 1am to 6am with the "stay awake" option checked, and the smart query is throttled to once every 24 hrs.

So the system should wake up, do my sync backup, do one smart query, possibly do disk scanning for the next 6 hours if required, otherwise go back to sleep.

Seems to be working.