Drivepool SSD + Archive and SnapRAID?

fly

Question

So I'm currently using Drivepool with SnapRAID for backup.  For SnapRAID to run quickly, I've turned off the regular balancers and instead just rely on file placement rules to keep everything in balance (I'm mostly just adding and rarely deleting).  I've started adding a couple of SSD drives that I'd like for everything to land on, then using a FIFO type policy move things to magnetic drives as the SSDs fill up.  What is the best way to accomplish this without the balancers shuffling around data on the Archive drives?

Pretty please?  :D

Just to reiterate my use case: My media server has quite a few users.  As new media comes in, it's likely to have a lot of viewers and therefore a lot of I/O.  As files get older, fewer and fewer people access them.  So I'd love to have an SSD landing zone for all new files, which then get archived off to platters as space requires.  It would be fantastic if I could say, once the SSD drive(s) reaches 80% full, archive files down to 50% using FIFO.

2 hours ago, fly said:

Pretty please?  :D

Just to reiterate my use case: My media server has quite a few users.  As new media comes in, it's likely to have a lot of viewers and therefore a lot of I/O.  As files get older, fewer and fewer people access them.  So I'd love to have an SSD landing zone for all new files, which then get archived off to platters as space requires.  It would be fantastic if I could say, once the SSD drive(s) reaches 80% full, archive files down to 50% using FIFO.

Makes sense - it would make the SSD cache drive more like a traditional cache, instead of simply a hot landing zone pool member which is offloaded over time.   +1

Okay, so I've been thinking more about this again.  Here's my plan to have a FIFO SSD cache.

Create a DrivePool of magnetic drives (E:)

Create a DrivePool of solid state drives (F:)

Create a DrivePool containing E: and F: (D:)

I would create placement rules for D: that tell DP to only place files on F:.  Then I'd simply write a PS script that would check free space on F: and move files to E: until there was XXXGB of free space. 

If it matters, the only reason that E: and F: would exist is so that I don't have to find the underlying disk with the most free space on E: or find the SSD under F: that needs files archived off.  I just have my script move things and let DP deal with file placement.

Would this work?

Sorry for the delay!

On 5/3/2019 at 8:03 AM, fly said:

If I create a new top level DP drive hierarchy, how do I prime the new top level drive with the contents of DP drive below it?

Seed it, just like a normal pool:
http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Q4142489

And the rest looks good

Thanks.

I did see that KB, but I'm not sure I follow.  Where will the Poolpart folders be for the new top level drive?

Hopefully this makes sense:

D: - Top level drive pool
	|___ E: Magnetic drive pool
	        |____ C:\mount\1\PoolPart
	        |____ C:\mount\2\PoolPart
	|___ F: Sold state drive pool
	       |___ R:\

edit: Just created the above DrivePool hierarchy.  The top level drive was empty and I only saw one PoolPart folder in C:\mount\1.  I'm clearly missing something.

Figured it out.  For whatever reason, when using mount points, the PoolPart folders don't get created until something is written to it.  That doesn't seem to be the case for drive letters.  Is that possible or am I missing something?